Childood nostalgia - post your memories

It all started this morning when I made a Teepee out of branches and a cover in the garden with the kids. (We used to call them Wigwams of course)

It rapidly spread on to practising banging nails into bits of wood, and after lunch continued with the best advice on administering dead leg, the flicking of the ear lobe from behind the victim, bending the little finger back and a classic example of 'all pile on' (I was at the bottom of the pile, of course)

We didn't enter into the arena of the Chinese burn.

I want to bring them up nicely, after all ;)

I'm presently thinking of making a 'Trolley' as they were known in West Yorkshire (you may know it as a Soap Box) but sadly you just can't get the big pram wheels for the back end these days.

The best part of making a Trolley was bending the nails over the axle (brackets weren't an option for most kids) As soon as you hit the kerb the wheels fell off and you had to mend it. Mending it was the best part.

Any nostalgic memories of childhood?

Sentimental longing for the past too - I still want a Mr Frostie :hihi:
Are you my daughter? She's never forgiven me for the lack of a Mr Frostie present either ... :help:

Tipping the wooden 'clothes horse' sideways on the lawn and covering it with a bedspread, spending long hot summer days in there pretending to be camping, drinking warm brackish water from an enamel jug and eating salmon paste sarnies off paper plates. Pure childhood bliss.

Ah yes we made trolleys too but never wigwams, we built camps or dens from bits of discarded boarding or anything else we could find for that matter.

Did you make peg guns, tod twangers and French arrows too? .....I doubt that such things wouldn't be allowed these days but gave us ours of fun.

Are you my daughter? She's never forgiven me for the lack of a Mr Frostie present either ... :help:

Tipping the wooden 'clothes horse' sideways on the lawn and covering it with a bedspread, spending long hot summer days in there pretending to be camping, drinking warm brackish water from an enamel jug and eating salmon paste sarnies off paper plates. Pure childhood bliss.

Maybe you should get her one. I remember my older sister wanted one when she was young but didn't get one. So, one year, when they brought them out again, my mum got her one for Christmas, even though she was in her 20s :hihi:

Maybe you should get her one. I remember my older sister wanted one when she was young but didn't get one. So, one year, when they brought them out again, my mum got her one for Christmas, even though she was in her 20s :hihi:
I've tried Isabelle, several times! When she was 18, when she was 21 and most recently when she was 30 ... never one to be had for love nor money! :(

Funnily enough, it was discussed in her Halls, and no-one had ever had a Mr Frostie, and the guy who got one was the only one who never wanted it! Typical!

Another memory, the boys used to make something called a 'bullroarer' that they spun around on strings, which made a fearsome noise, and some sort of burners from the river clay? I don't remember the details because girls weren't allowed to be let into the arcane secrets in those days :) Anyone?

....Did you make peg guns, tod twangers and French arrows too? .....I doubt that such things wouldn't be allowed these days but gave us ours of fun.

No, never heard of them, please explain!

Sentimental longing for the past too - I still want a Mr Frostie :hihi:

Fair enough - maybe - just maybe someone close to you will read this and surprise you with a Mr Frostie :)

Archived