Childood nostalgia - post your memories

The French Arrow could have someones eye out!

The Peg Gun is now on the list of stuff to do before school starts - we only have plastic pegs so I might have to come and see if you have some wooden ones rubydazzler.

Bet you do.

How could you doubt me! Don't forget, closed Mondays and I'm unreliable before noon! ;)

We used to make bows too and catapaults to shoot ball bearings. If you look back on some of the stuff we used to do, and games we played, given many of them were amongs the post war ruins, I'm surprised any of us ever survived early adolescence!

I grew up in an area which had been very heavily fortified during the war and under military occupation. (No civilians at all - apart from one neutral and the prisoners.)

The place was 'cleared up' after that war, but not very well and munitions and weapons did turn up from time to time - and kids are good at finding stuff (and not telling their parents, either ;))

Amazingly, nobody was killed or seriously injured - but there were a few 'close calls'.:hihi:

The French Arrow could have someones eye out!

The Peg Gun is now on the list of stuff to do before school starts - we only have plastic pegs so I might have to come and see if you have some wooden ones rubydazzler.

Bet you do.

What is the "French Arrow", is it the same as we called the Scotch arrow :)

Part of my upbringing was in the NE by the Tyne. I remember my first view of the SS Northern Star sailing up towards Newcastle from Tynemouth. All the electrical pylon wires had to be raised. Massive tugs chaperoning it along its way. From then on I was hooked by the shear size of these things. Every time a new ship was launched I would get a ringside seat at the opposite shoreline.

Archived