Childood nostalgia - post your memories

I grew up in an area which had been very heavily fortified during the war and under military occupation. (No civilians at all - apart from one neutral and the prisoners.)

The place was 'cleared up' after that war, but not very well and munitions and weapons did turn up from time to time - and kids are good at finding stuff (and not telling their parents, either ;))

Amazingly, nobody was killed or seriously injured - but there were a few 'close calls'.:hihi:

We worked our way into an empty military base at Nether Edge near the end of the war, and came up with a can of .22 cartridges. We would drop then into the tram tracks and see them explode as the tram hit them. We picked up a mortar shell in Derbyshire and threw it on to the street we lived on. We were bitterly disappointed when it didn't go off. If it had have done, I wouldn't be writing now.:)

I lit a fire in a (disused) machine gun pit. (My brother and I were doing something and we decided to brew some tea.)

It wasn't a smart move!

When the first one went 'bang' (and fortunately all the metal went upwards) I moved faster than I had ever done before - or since.

7.92 mm rounds cooking off could probably do you quite a lot of damage. - We watched from outside the pit and life was very interesting for a few minutes. :hihi:

Did anyone else spend ages making pom-poms out of a bit of cardboard and wool, or was I just boring? :D

Even in the 80s we were still allowed out all day, and only had to be back when the sun went in. We'd make great dens, far better than the boys but they'd steal them off us :( We used to go to the shop for a 10p mix and think we had the world!

Things we used to do.

Take two large nut and bolts (half inch at least).

Discard one of the nuts.

Screw one bolt into the nut a couple of turns.

Fill the cavity with.......( redacted)

Screw the second bolt into the nut to .....(redacted), stand in a safe place, a porch will do, extend arm outside the porch and drop the the nut and bolts VERTICALLY (very important).

Loud bang and the nut and bolts screams at least twenty feet into the air.

We also used to play over the local sand pit which had bulrushes growing along the edge and was 50 feet deep in the middle.

We would cut down sufficient to form a thick mat which was then used as a raft to paddle out from the shore.

We were 8 or 9 years old and thank God our parents never knew what we were up to.

How we never drowned I don't know:loopy:

At the end of WW2 aged 6 I was mooching about amongst the undergrowth in an alley when I came across a artillery shell.

On the way home some older boys took it off me and started to throw it to one another before eventually returning to me.

When I got home I went to store it in the cupboard under the stairs.

My Dad shouted "what are you up to David?"

"Nothing Dad"

When he saw what the nothing was he put the live shell in a bucket of water and called the police.

What a spoilsport.

We had such freedom to roam and cycle for miles on roads which were almost devoid of cars.

Get on bus and visit London Transport garages 10 miles away to collect bus numbers.

All before we were 12 years old

Happy days.

I remember taking Gillian Davies a 'baccy' (nothing to do with smoking) on my bike down a country lane...(Actually I don't remember it), cos the next thing I knew I woke up in hospital with a blinding headache!...Who knows what would have ensued. I have a total blank on that day, and Gillian was saying nothing!...

Did anyone else spend ages making pom-poms out of a bit of cardboard and wool, or was I just boring? :D

Even in the 80s we were still allowed out all day, and only had to be back when the sun went in. We'd make great dens, far better than the boys but they'd steal them off us :( We used to go to the shop for a 10p mix and think we had the world!

Yeah, I did that too!

Archived