Childood nostalgia - post your memories

Things we used to do.

Take two large nut and bolts (half inch at least).

Discard one of the nuts.

Screw one bolt into the nut a couple of turns.

Fill the cavity with.......( redacted)Screw the second bolt into the nut to .....(redacted), stand in a safe place, a porch will do, extend arm outside the porch and drop the the nut and bolts VERTICALLY (very important).

Loud bang and the nut and bolts screams at least twenty feet into the air.

We also used to play over the local sand pit which had bulrushes growing along the edge and was 50 feet deep in the middle.

We would cut down sufficient to form a thick mat which was then used as a raft to paddle out from the shore.

We were 8 or 9 years old and thank God our parents never knew what we were up to.

How we never drowned I don't know:loopy:

At the end of WW2 aged 6 I was mooching about amongst the undergrowth in an alley when I came across a artillery shell.

On the way home some older boys took it off me and started to throw it to one another before eventually returning to me.

When I got home I went to store it in the cupboard under the stairs.

My Dad shouted "what are you up to David?"

"Nothing Dad"

When he saw what the nothing was he put the live shell in a bucket of water and called the police.

What a spoilsport.

We had such freedom to roam and cycle for miles on roads which were almost devoid of cars.

Get on bus and visit London Transport garages 10 miles away to collect bus numbers.

All before we were 12 years old

Happy days.

With what??

To what??

This sounds fun

Meersbrook in Rollestone Wood, Gleadless Valley, early 1960's.

Once dammed it. Spent about 8 hours doing it. Would usually destroy the dam prior to going in at the end of the day.

On this occasion, however, I forgot what time it was so panicked and just went home. (The street lights were on :) ).

I spent all night fearing that I had flooded the whole estate and the folks living further down the hill towards Heeley would die of thirst.:suspect:

Got up in the morning and couldn't wait to rush off to see the disaster.

The brook was flowing as normal and there was a small puddle behind the dam.:roll:

Never did become a civil engineer:hihi:

Has anyone mentioned playing hopscotch on the pavemants.

Ah! yes, and also tying some string to the lampost and taking it in turns to jump over it, moving it up each time to see who could jump the highest.

One of the lads, who was very tall, managed a jump which astounded me so much that i shouted "f . . . . . . h . . ."! - unfortunately my Dad heard me through the bathroom window and fetched me in for a pasting!:hihi::hihi:

Archived