Is This Woman For Real?

"The wife of a man who donated his sperm without her knowledge is campaigning for married men to require their spouse's consent for the process.

The woman, who is in her 30s and lives in Surrey with her husband and son, says the possibility any children - of whom there could be as many as 20 - may want to trace their biological father in 18 years' time, would 'almost feel like introducing the offspring of an adulterous relationship'.

She argues that in married relationships, sperm donation should be a decision both parties are involved in; she says in marriage, sperm should be considered some kind of 'marital asset'."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193780/Wife-man-secretly-donated-sperm-calls-spouses-consent-mandatory.html#ixzz24exJjUZC

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Is it entirely unreasonable?

If he donated it 'draught' she could divorce him for it.

If one of the women he impregnates (or who is impregnated using his sperm) wants his assistance in supporting her get, what then?

If he dies and 20 children he never knew he had claim against his estate, what then?

If (worst case) one of the children born to a woman using his sperm meets and marries a child born to another woman using his sperm - half-brother and half-sister - what then?

2 heads? 6 fingers? Hare Lip? Some other (more serious) congenital defect?

Not necessarily having official consent, but why would you not even talk about it, though? I suppose it's so easy to give a sperm donation without disussing it with anyone else concerned in the decision, whereas the gift of ova requires medical intervention, lots of preparation and takes more than five minutes. I'd think something that could affect a marriage/relationship would be something worthy of being talked about.

I can see some of her reasoning given that children of sperm donations are now allowed information about the donor, which could lead to all sorts of awkward situations if they were to suddenly turn up out of the blue. Even if the donations were given before the relationship/marriage, surely it would still be sensible to mention it, just in case?

I have to say I don't think shes being entirely unreasonable. It depends on circumstances.

Lets give her the benefit of the doubt. The article says the man wasn't behaving rationally after the birth of a child so made a little deposit at the bank, it also says shes a business owner.

What business? Glaxo-Smithcline? A flower shop? Cadbury?

Shes wanting to protect her future interest. I don't really see an issue with that. If an offspring does turn up at her door trying to claim their naturals fathers estate then really why should she hand over whats hers? Seems a bit unfair to me.

Perhaps she should be campaigning to have the 2005 amendment - the one which gives children born through sperm donations - the right to know the identity of their father.

If it's so important that the children should know the identity of their natural father, why are those fathers not told the identity of the children born using their sperm?

There would, no doubt, be an outcry should that happen.

She's being unreasonable to want it in law.

It's not unreasonable to want to know if your partner has donated sperm during his day. Why keep it a secret?

I'd agree.......

You wouldn't sneak off in the dead of night and make a deposit without speaking to your partner would you..

Archived