Brook Secondary Modern

Tillerman

Having re-visited my home city ], Sheffield, and gone to see the landmarks of my youth I was really surprised to see Brook Secondary Modern had become a housing estate. The school had fantastic facilities and playing fields, guess this was the reason for it's sell off. No doubt there was profit to be had by seling it all off to developers. The headmaster I recall was Mr Shaw, a former 1st world war pilot, Mr Griffiths, the science teacher who we sent up mercilessly, and Mr Hallot who finished every sentence with the words 'onnit" Hope that has evoked a few memories for those there at the time and still around.

I don't think it was so much for the land that it was sold off. More because when it was needing renovating asbestos was found in the roof.

I remember onnit and counting how many times he said it in a lesson so much so that I missed most of what he was saying. My favourite teacher was Mr Stokes who although strict was very fair and could control a class and got respect. I don't know how many years it is since you left Sheffield but no doubt you saw lots of changes not all for the better.

PS Did you know Brook school has a facebook page.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the site.

The other things he used to say was, " I will say this outright" and if itvwas followed by an "onit" we were all doubled up. Yes Mr Stokes was my teacher in the final year and I agree with all you say, a true gentleman. I once had to face Mr Shaw over a row I had, had with the Irish games teacher, Kennedy, and was asked to apologise to him in both their presence and refuseing to do so saying had I offended Mr Stokes I would not have hesitated. I only got four strokes instead of six.

Good times we never realised we were enjoying

Kennedy that's the name me and my husband were trying to think of now he was an odd sort of bloke but ok with the girls. I think you must have been at school about the same time as us because he wasn't there that long. Do you remember Mr Jefffs he threw a blackboard rubber at me for talking then got mad when I put the desk lid up and it hit that instead of me.

Kennedy that's the name me and my husband were trying to think of now he was an odd sort of bloke but ok with the girls. I think you must have been at school about the same time as us because he wasn't there that long. Do you remember Mr Jefffs he threw a blackboard rubber at me for talking then got mad when I put the desk lid up and it hit that instead of me.

I remember the name, I was in Ray Middletons class for a while, nice guy but curried favour and liked everyone to call him Ray. I was there when Stuart Beatson was banned for wearing a rock n roll top. There was Bostock, can't remember his first name, Trevor Powell, Franky Pluse, Denise Priestley, Pat Burke. God, I am remembering names I haven't thought about for years.

I remember the name, I was in Ray Middletons class for a while, nice guy but curried favour and liked everyone to call him Ray. I was there when Stuart Beatson was banned for wearing a rock n roll top. There was Bostock, can't remember his first name, Trevor Powell, Franky Pluse, Denise Priestley, Pat Burke. God, I am remembering names I haven't thought about for years.

Yes same year as me and my husband in fact you must have been in the same class as him.

sent you a pm

Yes same year as me and my husband in fact you must have been in the same class as him.

This might be the clincher then. I ws telling a joke to Dave Marshall

, whi I sat next to, about a gorilla demanding more chalk, when Middleton, who hadn't heard what I said, threw a lump of chalk at me to shut me up. It had the opposite effect

Do you remember Christopher Buck , Barry Westermann, Bob Anthony, Tony Cartwright, David Beet Carol Davis Monica Rooney Carol Durrans .

Do I. Bob was in a group, pretended he was younger than he was

Tony lived on Handsworth road, went to Blackpool with him once, only seen him once since leaving school.

Chris Buck, the name is really familiar but sadly can't place him. Remember Barry, Carol Durrans and Monica very well

Archived