Nick Clegg demands emergency tax on Britain's wealthiest

VAT has consistently gone up since its introduction @ 10% and its now 20% so its been creeping upwards since 1973.

To someone who has to budget an increase of only 2.5% does make a big difference when sourcing the cost of an item, if it didn't then why was VAT increased? Since the increase I now buy many more things cheaper on the net so yes I do think twice about how much this government want to rip me off.

I'm sure I'm not the only one as VAT also effects businesses as well, and as rossyrooney said;

"This 20% vat is a real killer,it's making firms think twice about renewing vehicles,while at the same time making cutbacks on maintainence schedules etc.

So the effect is felt across the board and as said it also has a negative effect by contributing to inflation.

Unless they are VAT registered and can claim it back.

Won't more taxes just make people fiddle there taxes more?

Believe me,it is only the super rich that have the accountancy teams to enable them to legally welsh on their commitments.

The tax authorities are down like a ton of bricks on a small or medium sized businesses that are slightly late paying their dues,many have folded because of the authorities inflexibility.

It amazes me that third rate comedians can filter millions away,so god only knows how all the entertainment and sports people are let get away with it.

That Jimmy Carr story was soon buried.

True but not all are VAT registered and if it has to be claimed back then it also has to be paid in first to do just that.

I think registration for VAT is required from self-employed earnings of £60-70k

I never said a given percentage was acceptable because it should be bracketed as it is now and as such there is no right answer. I have also said why a flay rate is not acceptable in my view. The matter is now closed.

Closed only because of your refusal to answer the question Mecky. My offer is open without any close date.

But what with higher bank charges,forever spiralling H+S directives which have to be adhered to and ongoing training costs,the extra 2.5%can be a killer.

It's the pointless red tape that is a real problem yes, hopefully they will start dialling back on it soon. There was a lot of talk about it beinga good idea and then they went off to see what could be done in the early days of the coalition - let's hope they actually come up with some simplification to it all.

:hihi:

Mecky, is this a serious post or are you just being sarcastic? It's difficult to tell these days. You, Wendy and ricgem seem to be getting more desperate by the minute.

:roll:

Desperate??? not me sl_ash, just loving watching 'em unravel!:)

Archived