Obscure terms that are apparently offensive.

The point was that some of us didn't know what the term meant ;)

No ... your point was that people should "just ignore these things and stop making a song and dance about it". They shouldn't, if they are offended by it then they do have the right to complain - especially about an MP using those words.

George Galloway in 'saying something archaic and offensive' shocker

I think the only shock with Galloway is that he actually managed to obtain sufficient votes to be elected. Let's hope the local electorate demonstrate their displeasure at the ballot box next time round.

No ... your point was that people should "just ignore these things and stop making a song and dance about it". They shouldn't, if they are offended by it then they do have the right to complain - especially about an MP using those words.

So you don't agree with my opinion that's ok its not a problem is it ? ;)

I don't see it as a major derogatory remark. I have heard it before in several instances. To me it's just the same as refering to old folk as 'coffin dodgers'...Or one that I used quite regularly when refering to social workers ..."The wooly tights brigade"..Or something like that...it's just used as an off-the-cuff remark.

However, George Galloway ought to know better, as should other politicians and 'choose' their words a little more carefully.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so [swear] what?' —Stephen Fry
He should know better. If people never complained about things that offended them, some perfectly normal things would still be illegal. Ya get mi?

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so [swear] what?' —Stephen Fry

I wouldn't disagree with his point. I'm not the one trying to silence people. I wouldn't stop Galloway calling people whatever he wants, and I wouldn't stop disabled people thinking Galloway should really find some better words to use.

Like Gervais calling people a "mong". It's not a crime to offend people. It's not a crime to find the words ugly either.

Archived