Obscure terms that are apparently offensive.

I always thought being called "a window licker" meant that you were so tight you'd even lick the condensation off the windows. No wonder it never got the reaction I thought it should when used in polite company :D

I thought Oxygen Sucker meant you were a waste of space.

I always thought being called "a window licker" meant that you were so tight you'd even lick the condensation off the windows. No wonder it never got the reaction I thought it should when used in polite company :D

I thought Oxygen Sucker meant you were a waste of space.

Could be a poorly trained window cleaner I suppose!

The point was that some of us didn't know what the term meant ;)

The OP only as far as I can see.

I saw someone allowing their daughter on the tram to lick the windows, that's the only time I've needed to use the phrase to describe someone.

It's only surprising when looked at in the context of the phrase (from your point of view) being unknown.

If you look at in the context of it being a derogatory term for learning disabled people and also at a time when hate crimes against people with disabilities is on the rise then it's certainly not surprising that disabled charities take issue with it.

I do think charities need to think carefully before they take issue with these terms. Not that he should say it but if you take issue with a word you bring it more in the public domain. So a word that may have eventually dissappeared completely into non use might have a resurgance. So actually doing the opposite of what the charity wanted to achieve ie stopping the use of the word.

I wouldn't disagree with his point. I'm not the one trying to silence people. I wouldn't stop Galloway calling people whatever he wants, and I wouldn't stop disabled people thinking Galloway should really find some better words to use.

Like Gervais calling people a "mong". It's not a crime to offend people. It's not a crime to find the words ugly either.

Exactly it is not a crime either way.

So I don't see why some people give a crap.

The way people moan about being offended you would think they do want to silence what people say.

Archived