Obscure terms that are apparently offensive.

It always makes me laugh when Americans say things about their Fanny's.

"You are a complete Fanny" "Fell right on her Fanny"

An American bottom is known as a Fanny.

It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase women here use!

"Does my fanny look big in this dress?" :hihi::hihi:

Exactly it is not a crime either way.

So I don't see why some people give a crap.

The way people moan about being offended you would think they do want to silence what people say.

Using derogatory terms for minorities isn't offensive in the same way that just calling you ugly would be (I'm not calling you ugly, it's just an example), it's a way of belittling them and separating them out from the majority and in some cases, like some of the mentally ill, they're not capable of defending themselves, hence why charities object to the use of these words and phrases by public officials.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so [swear] what?' —Stephen Fry

My bold.

That's exactly how I feel about Stephen Fry!

'Picanninies' is quite an obscure term. I hadn't heard of it until Boris Johnson used a tirade against them with their "water melon smiles" http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jan/23/borisyourtruecoloursareshowing
The word picanniny was used a lot back in the thirties. It came from American movies, and referred to black babies, calling hem piccaninies. It wasn't meant to be an insult, quite the contrary. It meant the baby was cute.

Didn't a US politician or official get in trouble a bit ago for using the word "niggardly", which means stingy or miserly, but was misconstrued as something pertaining to the word "******"?

edit.....stupid swear filter.....the N word then......:rolleyes:

I always thought being called "a window licker" meant that you were so tight you'd even lick the condensation off the windows. No wonder it never got the reaction I thought it should when used in polite company :D

I thought Oxygen Sucker meant you were a waste of space.

The term "window licker" has been about donkeys years, I always thought it referred to disabled people and how they sat on say buses, with their heads against the window with their tongue lolling out (not nice I know, but then again people aren't).

I've heard it also used as a term to describe people from Chesterfield, 6 fingers also with ginger hair, sorry but it's a debate.

Archived