The trouble with monopolies

How the hell are you supposed to complain to a company like Yorkshire Water? It's not like you can threaten to take your custom elsewhere - the only real bargaining power a consumer has. Take that away, you're the consumer equivalent of a serf.

We seem to manage the whole market competition thing with energy and broadband - they all use the same grids and lines, why not water? I'm assuming there is a legitimate reason for this.

:?: Go on, explain a bit more...

We clearly have the infrastructure for regional water supply. Can't we "regionalise" this and have local suppliers bid for the wholesale use of it in the same way they do in the energy and landline market, just on a smaller scale?

We clearly have the infrastructure for regional water supply. Can't we "regionalise" this and have local suppliers bid for the wholesale use of it in the same way they do in the energy and landline market, just on a smaller scale?

I'm not sure what the connectivity is ... I don't know how large the "regions" would be .. would they be big enough to be economically viable? Not all of Sheffield's supply comes from the same place for example so the regions would be smaller than city size..or am I misunderstanding? With the energy and land line market then the whole country is available to a supplier..

I'm not sure what the connectivity is ... I don't know how large the "regions" would be .. would they be big enough to be economically viable? Not all of Sheffield's supply comes from the same place for example so the regions would be smaller than city size..or am I misunderstanding? With the energy and land line market then the whole country is available to a supplier..

I'm saying use the same model, but a more localised version of it based on how it's divided up today, assuming it's not the scale that makes the energy market successful but the division of wholesale supply and consumer supply. Yorkshire Water covers a region suitable for their output capacity so that would be an example of one "regional marketplace". Either Yorkshire Water would be granted wholesale rights or they would be taken over by a public company.

Not really - it's only recently that we had the Yorkshire grid finished that lets you supply from one side of the county to the other. Before that it was tankers of water tootling about. I don't even think there is the infrastructure in place for regional trading of water.

Archived