Pavillion Cinema Attercliffe Common

Can anyone remember the Pavillion Pictures on Atterclife Common? It probably stood somewhere near where the current poilce staion is.

I remember in the 60's going on a Saturday, not sure if it was morning or afternoon. Always full of excited kids - no parents.

Think there was always 'Mask of Zorro' or 'The Lone Ranger' something like that. All the kids got really excited when it came on.

Come on, some one out there must know some history of the place, please share it as I have some really good but vague memories.

i think pavillion picture house would have been fifty /100 yards further on from where police station is now. it was opposite Liverpool st, a bank was on one corner and secondhand shop on the other corner,a few yards further down was a remembrance garden i think its still there today as hilltop something or other it is over grown looking at it on google earth from the road side.

Can anyone remember the Pavillion Pictures on Atterclife Common? It probably stood somewhere near where the current poilce staion is.

I remember in the 60's going on a Saturday, not sure if it was morning or afternoon. Always full of excited kids - no parents.

Think there was always 'Mask of Zorro' or 'The Lone Ranger' something like that. All the kids got really excited when it came on.

Come on, some one out there must know some history of the place, please share it as I have some really good but vague memories.

hi when i was akid i spent most saturdays at the pavillion with most otf the kids on our street i remember boys at the back aways had pea shooters great fun poor usherettes were run off there feet good memories j

Opposite end of Leigh St....I used to go to Saturday Morning Cinema. When it was my birthday once I went up on stage and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me and a couple others but I was the one that got to start the projecter and start the fil rolling......:hihi: When I walked off stage they all sang "I Married Joan" to me....remember that programme:?:Joan Davis I think it was.

spent many a hour in the pav has we called it,sat morning was for the young ones .It was lovely inside with several boxes around the inside perimiter to go in upstairs and watch the films,there is photos of the pav if you google sheff libaries,the back entrance was on swan street ,one of your mates used to pay then open the back door and let the others in for free. there was a bloke work there we called him torchy if he thought you sneaked in he would throw you out what a laugh:hihi:

Opposite end of Leigh St....I used to go to Saturday Morning Cinema. When it was my birthday once I went up on stage and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me and a couple others but I was the one that got to start the projecter and start the fil rolling......:hihi: When I walked off stage they all sang "I Married Joan" to me....remember that programme:?:Joan Davis I think it was.

Can just remember it. Jim Backus, the voice of Mr Magoo, was the husband.

My old Mum was a 'torchy' at 'The Pav' in the late 40's! What about The Adelphi, near to Attercliffe Baths and The Regal at the bottom of Staniforth Rd.The 'delphi didn't have Saturday kids shows though!

Do you remember the yo-yo contests?

My old Mum was a 'torchy' at 'The Pav' in the late 40's! What about The Adelphi, near to Attercliffe Baths and The Regal at the bottom of Staniforth Rd.The 'delphi didn't have Saturday kids shows though!

Do you remember the yo-yo contests?

My Grandma worked at the Adelphi....21 years she was there as an usherette. She came home one night to find that she'd been burgled while she was at work. The shock made her ill and she never recovered and died soon after. I watch every antique, flog it type of programme that is ever shown from Sheffield on the off chance that I might see something I recognise. Main thing that got nicked though was a pile of the old white fivers and some gold sovereigns. She had put her wages for the 21 years in a shopping bag and had lived just off her widows pension.....:mad:

Archived