Tank graveyard at Darnall

I wondered if anyone can remember the scrap yard on greenland road in the 50s,we as kids used to go and play in there and it was a kids paradise of old world war two tanks/trucks/aeroplanes/etc . we would spend hours in there sat in the tanks and making the gun turrets go up and down and round,then go and climb in the cockpit of an old fighter plane,some even had bullet holes in them,i think the scrap yard belonged to vickers.

there was one just outside tinsley park cemertry called kits and vickers they used to have old raf areoplanes in their scrap yard

Hi yes it was called Vickers. Me and my mates used to play there in the 50s and early 60s, we used to get ariels from the tanks and make fishing rods, cos we could'nt afford proper ones. Great days.

Hi yes it was called Vickers. Me and my mates used to play there in the 50s and early 60s, we used to get ariels from the tanks and make fishing rods, cos we could'nt afford proper ones. Great days.

I also used to play in that scrap yard in the 50s,i remember the floor in the yard was absolutely covered with all kinds of packages containing every concievable electronic unit/switches/motors/etc,etc, all brand new and wrapped up in a type of waxy greaseproof thick paper that took us ages to unwrap because they were packed so good,i can remember us feeling so exited as we opened each package wondering what we were going to find.

The cost of all this war surplus just to be scapped must have been astronomical.

there was one just outside tinsley park cemertry called kits and vickers they used to have old raf areoplanes in their scrap yard

The company was founded by Henry Kitson-Vickers, there are some bits and bobs referring to him and his family on this forum if you do a search.:)

• 3 months later...

can any one remember the army dump on greenland road darnell ?. it was our play ground when we were kids living on the (cliff) around 1955_57. it was a vast area full of tanks and armoured vehecles from world war 2. i found a bren gun up there and took it home, my grandad took it off me , gave me a slap . he took me down to the police station with the gun and handed it in. fun days.....!!!

Was it the Kitson Vickers scrapyard; tanks, planes, lorries etc.? I think we had to sneak in when no one was on the gate and it was so vast that they'd rarely spot you see you It was a magnet for all kids who knew about it, pure excitement being able to sit in a jet cockpit and command a tank ! I think there are other threads about this scrapyard on SF. On the way there I always remember seeing a terraced house which had a stained-glass red tulip design on each lower half of the front room window; funny the odd things you remember.

Was it the Kitson Vickers scrapyard; tanks, planes, lorries etc.? I think we had to sneak in when no one was on the gate and it was so vast that they'd rarely spot you see you It was a magnet for all kids who knew about it, pure excitement being able to sit in a jet cockpit and command a tank ! I think there are other threads about this scrapyard on SF. On the way there I always remember seeing a terraced house which had a stained-glass red tulip design on each lower half of the front room window; funny the odd things you remember.

yes, it was Kitson vickers. and your right mate, it was a dream playground for a 10 year old boy. Now you mention it ,there was a guy on the gate, never got cought though....!!! Im surprised no one else can remember it?.