How do you get a job on radio?

being a radio presenter is something i've wanted to do for a long long time the reason behind this is because i can talk about anything passionatly for as long as needed i've got a good all round general knowledge im quite bubbly got a good sense of humour i like talking to people about anything really lol and i also love music any genre from most decades

the problem is how do you get a job on radio? well after speaking to certain people it would appear you start off at the bottom and work your way up....not that easy when you can't find a way to get to the bottom! i'd do anything to start off some sort of career on radio be it by making coffees/general slavoury lol or being som sort of asistant to a presenter

im determined to make this work in any way i can does anyone know of any way i can kick start my dream? or has any contacts at hallam or bbc radio sheffield etc i'd be willing to work without pay to an extent

thank you in advance for any replied/help

damian

Hospital Radio seems to be a common theme from Radio presenters (read this interview) !!!

Galaxy 105 do a 'getting into radio' course that you can attenbd, however it IS based in Leeds.

Not sure about Hallam FM, you could just try pestering them with phone calls.

I've done amateur radio for about 9 years, although recently I've not been able to find the time to do it with work an all.

The best way of getting in to radio is to record a demo tape. Not a full show (although you can edit a full show down into a demo on a PC). A CD or MD is best, and it should be about 5-10 minutes long. Make lots of copies and send them to every radio station witihin travelling distance with a CV/Covering letter as you would for a normal job (it might help to ring up and make sure you get a name to address it too as well as the company).

Usually I would recommend putting on a selection of ideas for shows - names, quick overview of features - introduce a few records (but don't play them in full) and then some more serious features. If you can get a mate to fake an interview then that's a great tactic!!!!

Most important is perserverence, and a willingness to start off doing occassional bits and pieces for free. It's not as competitive as people make out, and they're pretty short of talent round here mate!!

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

Archived