Girevoy (Kettlebell) Sport

No not yet, still just me. I'm just on the look out for people to train with to get the foundations of a club going for now, I am not a qualified girevoy sport coach, just a self taught competitor (at the moment!).

If you are interest in finding out more about Girevoy Sport in the UK, there is a facebook group here: UK & Irish Girevoy sport

No not yet, still just me. I'm just on the look out for people to train with to get the foundations of a club going for now, I am not a qualified girevoy sport coach, just a self taught competitor (at the moment!).

If you are interest in finding out more about Girevoy Sport in the UK, there is a facebook group here: UK & Irish Girevoy sport

Thanks again for the heads-up on Pro-X sports- I went down today and tried out a 24kg comp kbell and then bought it.

Probably take a while to get used to it as I've been using 20kg bells up to now.

Interesting to watch some of the competition vids- up to now when doing clean and press I've mainly just pressed them up with shoulder power, whereas I noticed in the competitions they do a little dip and power them up using the legs: I had a quick go at that with my pair of 20's, and it does make things more interesting :)

Nice one!

Yeah you may find the competition style is different from what is taught for general fitness training with KBs. Girevoy sport is all about technique and efficiently. There are two main competitions, The long cycle (clean and jerk) and the biathlon (Jerk & Snatch). With all lifts the competitor must get as many repetitions as possible within 10 minutes without putting the kettelbells down, this is why efficiency, technique and breathing are so important. The style is much more fluid.

Check out this video, it covers everything you need to know to get started -

Are you on facebook? I may set up a group for people who would be interested in training together occasionally. I'm also planning a trips to other teams near Sheffield.

Nice one!

Yeah you may find the competition style is different from what is taught for general fitness training with KBs. Girevoy sport is all about technique and efficiently. There are two main competitions, The long cycle (clean and jerk) and the biathlon (Jerk & Snatch). With all lifts the competitor must get as many repetitions as possible within 10 minutes without putting the kettelbells down, this is why efficiency, technique and breathing are so important. The style is much more fluid.

Check out this video, it covers everything you need to know to get started -

Are you on facebook? I may set up a group for people who would be interested in training together occasionally. I'm also planning a trips to other teams near Sheffield.

I am on facebook. Let me know if you set up a group.

I've downloaded the video and will work my way through it.

One question- coming from a weights background, where it's a no-no to train every day (as weights break down muscle which need at least one rest day tween workouts to recover), I'm wondering what kettle bell people do- is it considered OK to train every day with kbells, or, are rest days important?

I know Pavel talks about 'greasing the groove' where movements are practised without going anywhere near failure, so they can be perfected without taxing the recovery system.

Also, as there's so much more cardio in kbells, and presumably, less direct effect on the muscles than pure weight training, I do sometimes feel that it would work quite well to just train whenever the feelings there, and not worry about rest days.

Will do, I'll post it here once its up.

Training and rest depends really, if someone is just in a technique/practice phase using light bells you can get away with less rest and consecutive days training. When training for a competition you are going to be building up volume using timed sets using your competition weight, this can get quite intense so rest days between sessions is usually a good idea.

3/4 times a week is a good amount, Training session are usually focused around the main lifts for example:

Monday - Jerks and jerk assistance lifts,

Weds - Snatches and snatch assist lifts etc..

Sat - Timed set for jerk and snatch

That's just one very simple way of doing it tho, I would add some cross training in there too.

So you can practice technique everyday without going near fatigue, but heavier sessions would require rest days as you usually would with strength training.

This is a great (and in depth) document about training for girevory sport - Kettlebell Sport preparation & training methodology

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived