UK women going to USA to choose sex of baby

Firstly, I wasn't talking about their body!

But it is their body and you want to dictate what they can do with it.

Secondly, you don't think that an imbalance between the sexes would do any harm?

No

Thirdly, this is nothing to do with the NHS. Sex selection can only be justified as part of the NHS's remit when it is related to sex-linked genetic disease. It is not a health issue otherwise, and never will be!

In your opinion, my opinion is differant, get over it.

Leave the running of the NHS to people who know what they're talking about and who have enough common sense to define policy.

You do know this is just a discussion forum in which people express their opinions; we don’t really have any power to change anything.

Just one point to add the government are already looking for ways in which the NHS can sell the services to make money.

NHS hospitals in England will be free to use almost half their hospital beds and theatre time for private patients under government plans.

Any money they make can only be good for NHS patients.

I don't think it should be allowed where one sex is favoured over another for cultural reasons. You could end up in some countries, Pakistan and China say, where there would be a massive over supply of men. What on earth would happen then?

The population would decline which isn't a problem.

Stupid idea! That's not what the NHS is for, and besides, it won't help anyone! The ratio's been set at 50% for very good evolutionary reasons over the last few million years, and you remain ignorant of that at your peril. How, exactly, is it good to create an over-population of men, some, or many, of whom will not be able to find a partner unless they happen to be gay? It's a recipe for disaster and social disharmony. Your suggestion has got to be the most crass thing I've heard for ages! :loopy:

Actually there are more boys born due to their inherent weakness,about 502 per 1000,as against 498 girls.In addition man has not been evolving for a few million years.I hope you do not lecture in Biology or similar at university.

I don't think it should be allowed where one sex is favoured over another for cultural reasons. You could end up in some countries, Pakistan and China say, where there would be a massive over supply of men. What on earth would happen then?

China's problem is one of low birth rate as well as the population being short of a few women. The dilemma set by the policy of one child specific families has also led to an increase in an ageing population which is also affecting the availability of manpower.

Firstly, I wasn't talking about their body! Secondly, you don't think that an imbalance between the sexes would do any harm? Thirdly, this is nothing to do with the NHS. Sex selection can only be justified as part of the NHS's remit when it is related to sex-linked genetic disease. It is not a health issue otherwise, and never will be! Leave the running of the NHS to people who know what they're talking about and who have enough common sense to define policy.

Leave it to politicians and arrogant medics?Sex -selection is a health issue although there are ethical and philosophical dimension and I daresay the Church will have a view as it seems to question Gods impotence.

If you can only afford to have four children, say, and the first three were all the same sex, I could understand the parents watching to be able to choose the sex of the fourth and last child.

Imagine, if you already had three boys/girls, and then got another one. That does happen a lot, in some families only one sex come to term. In that sort of circumstance, why shouldn't people have the right to choose? Or gender specific inherited conditions, as another example.

That seems to suggest that if they were to have a child of the "wrong" undesired sex, they would be dissatisfied, possibly resentful. If that's even a possibility, I'd suggest they shouldn't bother trying for another child, they should love whatever comes out in equal measure to their previous offspring.

That seems to suggest that if they were to have a child of the "wrong" undesired sex, they would be dissatisfied, possibly resentful. If that's even a possibility, I'd suggest they shouldn't bother trying for another child, they should love whatever comes out in equal measure to their previous offspring.
No it doesn't. They might be, of course, but it's doubtful. Babies bring their own love with them, in the old saying! :) It's natural that many women want to have a daughter, and most men want to have a son. But it's often when talking to people who have two children of the same sex, they want one of the other sex, but are loathe to keep trying in case they get another boy or girl, purely down to time and money constraints.

In those cases, who could object to them using whatever methods are available to choose the desired sex? Haven't some 'celebs' used types of natural selection methods?

ETA: just noticed a typo in my op, 'wanting' not 'watching', of course. :)

Archived