1st time in Thailand

It's a great place with great people. Eat street food, go to Chaing Mai, and then one of the Islands. Jumping on internal flights there is like jumping on a bus here, easy to do.

Loads to do, too much to mention, but depends how long you have there?

I'd have a look on a website like

http://www.travelfish.org/

for tips and reviews

I've been there a few times over the last 18 years and the country is now pretty developed - if not "first world" - then definitely Turkey or Mexico level developed.

Tourism is one of the countries main industries and its very easy to travel around. English is well spoken in the main tourist areas - but if you go anywhere else - many people wont speak must english. The food is very good from road style stalls to posh restaurants - though can be quite spicy (far more so than in thai restaurants at home).

where abouts are you thinking of going?

Buy a good travel guide, like "The Lonely Planet guide" to Thailand, it will be worth every penny. You'll have thousands of really good tips in there on what to see and do, how to get around, things not to miss, things to avoid, health, insurance, money, customs, everything.

I've been to Thailand several times and many other countries in the Far East as well.

Thailand is great. One of my favourite places in the world.

I'd recommend travelling around as much as you can. Allow 3 or 4 days maybe to see Bangkok and surrounding areas then head north to Chang Mai and Chang Rai - do a jungle trek. Take internal flights for very little money down to the islands and do the beach thing as well.

When in rome though... considering it's such a huge part of the culture it would almost seem rude not to.

In the big tacky tourist resorts you'll see a lot of ladyboys who earn their money as prostitutes. But in smaller towns you'll also see ladyboys doing "normal" jobs.

Archived