1st time in Thailand

In the big tacky tourist resorts you'll see a lot of ladyboys who earn their money as prostitutes. But in smaller towns you'll also see ladyboys doing "normal" jobs.

Really? what type of normal jobs do they do?

Is it themed? you know, like, "get your car Mot'd and serviced by a ladyboy" or more, oh look over there, there's a lady boy driving a taxi?

Really? what type of normal jobs do they do?

Is it themed? you know, like, "get your car Mot'd and serviced by a ladyboy" or more, oh look over there, there's a lady boy driving a taxi?

No - its part of normal life - so they don't really snigger about it . On the way back from Laos I had a ladyboy stamp my passport at thai border control and i've eaten at a cafe with two ladyboy chefs - its not really a big deal outside of the tourist places.

what I usually recommend is get out of Bangkok, straight away.

not that there's anything wrong with Bangkok, far from it, it's brilliant but if it's your first time in Asia it will just blow you away. Far better to have your first few days in a provincial city, with Chiang Mai probably being one of the better choices. Save Bangkok, until last. You will comprehend it better, and enjoy it more.

you see katoeys (ladyboys) all over Thailand, not just in tourist areas. Often yes they do work in hair salons, beauty parlors, massage places as they can find it difficult to find employment elsewhere, but they can also have normal jobs in banks, in a factory etc. Thailand is #1, but visibility of transexuals is one of the features of south east Asian society, not just Thailand, even in the Muslim majority countries where the authorities are not as tolerant of it as the other places, it's still more visible than in Europe.

Archived