Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

• 3 years later...

How come the winners of the general Olympics are given a gold post box painted local to each winner, the cauldrons and torches they have carried have all been gold in colour and each winning gold medallist has had their own individual stamp issued for each person.

The Paralympians however do not get a gold post box, the cauldrons and torches they have used have been silver in colour indicating second best, and for each gold medallist they do not get their individual stamps like able bodied athletes have but in fact have to grouped with other Paralympians on a shared stamp.

It is clearly a case of second fiddle and second class citizens and they are definitely not classed as equal as able bodied athletes and their silver coloured status clearly indicates token gestures.

Also, why has there been a separate staging of Olympics with Paralympics having their own ceremony and logos, is it not more logical and better source of inclusion to have the Paralympics merged with the other Olympics so that everyone is classed as equal and not as some secondary freak show that nobody wants to be seen with and given equal exposure, it all smells of very bad human rights to me.

I think there's already a thread on this topic.

The explanation from the PO is that they're only allowed to produce so many new stamps per year and they weren't expecting GB to win so many.

Personally, I think everyone who got a medal should have had a local postbox painted either gold, silver or bronze for a year, say.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1040785&highlight=paralympics

How come the winners of the general Olympics are given a gold post box painted local to each winner, the cauldrons and torches they have carried have all been gold in colour and each winning gold medallist has had their own individual stamp issued for each person.

The Paralympians however do not get a gold post box, the cauldrons and torches they have used have been silver in colour indicating second best, and for each gold medallist they do not get their individual stamps like able bodied athletes have but in fact have to grouped with other Paralympians on a shared stamp.

It is clearly a case of second fiddle and second class citizens and they are definitely not classed as equal as able bodied athletes and their silver coloured status clearly indicates token gestures.

Also, why has there been a separate staging of Olympics with Paralympics having their own ceremony and logos, is it not more logical and better source of inclusion to have the Paralympics merged with the other Olympics so that everyone is classed as equal and not as some secondary freak show that nobody wants to be seen with and given equal exposure, it all smells of very bad human rights to me.

Apparently, it's not silver, but platinum. Must admit to thinking the same as you...

The two commentators talking at the start of the procession seemed to fall out with each other pretty quickly. Bitching and interrupting each other, they were! :o Someone stepped in to stop one of them rambling, and his comments seemed to me as though they were intended to be off-air! Not a good start.

Archived