Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

That's how the paralympics started though.

Until recently i wasn't fully aware of the history of the event,it makes the paralympics much more interesting when you know how it all began,and the connection with WW11 and later Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

http://www.paralympiceducation.ca/Content/History/11%20History%20of%20the%20Paralympics.asp?langid=1

I enjoyed the basketball yesterday.

Why though, do they have an advert and then go back to the studio? Have adverts if you must, but I don't need to know the basketball game is on. It was on before you stopped broadcasting it. Put it back on and shut up.

Really disappointed with the Channel 4 coverage, far too much chat from the third-grade presenters, not enough actual event coverage, and far too many long advert breaks. Heavens, I cannot drink that amount of tea!

I've noticed this a bit too - although I disagree about the presenters.

There does seem to be too much chat and too many trailers - even the Public Enemy theme tune is starting to get a bit grating - it sounded brilliant in the run up but when its on at every break its getting a bit annoying.

Its still early days so hopefully they will improve.

Its a pity the BBC didn't get the broadcast rights,apparently Channel 4 paid much more, 9million compared to the BBCs offer of 5m, but at least the BBC are giving the games plenty of coverage on the radio.

I hear James Crisp a Sheffield man will be taking part in the swimming event today.

They're have been a lot of criticism about the ad breaks during the ceremony.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195718/London-Paralympics-Channel-4-viewing-figures-adverts.html

I watched a little of the Paralympics last night (Thurs), and it was the swimming. Maybe I'm a bit dim or something, but I just didn't 'get' the grading system. They had a sort of little montage to try and explain it all, but to be honest I was more confused after watching it! I just don't see how someone with a missing leg can compete on equal terms in the same race as someone with part of an arm missing, or whatever other disability. I'm sure the 'system' has been designed to be as fair as possible given the circumstances, but if it's so complicated that nobody (well me anyway) understands it, then it makes me lose interest.

Also, I wasn't at all impressed by the studio 'pundits'. You know when you listen to someone, and it's not interesting..?...It kind of ends up as a droning sound...and you switch off?....Well that's how I felt.

Then of course there were the extended advert breaks...they're so annoying!...Maybe we have been spoilt by the beeb, with fluent coverage, and no advert breaks.

I watched about an hour and a half of the coverage, and for the reasons above, changed channels. I think it's unlikely I'll be watching too much more of it.

But all praise to the athletes concerned...they do deserve recognition...Just wish the coverage was better!

Agree about the coverage find it difficult to get into it with channel 4's constant ad breaks and they ruined the opening Ceromony too.

Still perservering though because the athletes are amazing.

Suprised bbc did not get the rights as they were already set up for it after the Olympics.

Maybe I'm a bit dim or something, but I just didn't 'get' the grading system. They had a sort of little montage to try and explain it all, but to be honest I was more confused after watching it! I just don't see how someone with a missing leg can compete on equal terms in the same race as someone with part of an arm missing, or whatever other disability. I'm sure the 'system' has been designed to be as fair as possible given the circumstances, but if it's so complicated that nobody (well me anyway) understands it, then it makes me lose interest.

I don't think it's extremely complex by any means.

People are disabled in different ways - there is no exact science to measuring if person A is more or less disabled than person B - a grading system is the best that we've got. It's not perfect, but it is the best we've got.

If you don't want to watch, then that is your choice. I watched the swimming and it was explained okay. "These people are partially sighted. They cannot see the black line on the floor but they can see when they reach the end of the lane".

The highlight for me earlier was seeing Hannah Cockroft from Leeds get the gold.

What a girl!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2193023/Hannah-Cockcroft-told-shed-life-suffering-brain-damage-birth--shes-going-gold-Paralympics.html

Yep she's epic and what a personality!

I didn't watch the 'other' olympics, even went to Portugal for 3 weeks to dodge the bullet, but now I'm glued, I'm watching it pretty much religiously.

Archived