Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

Yep she's epic and what a personality!

I didn't watch the 'other' olympics, even went to Portugal for 3 weeks to dodge the bullet, but now I'm glued, I'm watching it pretty much religiously.

Perhaps we shouldn't be too exuberant about the Paralympians we don't want to upset anyone.

Perhaps we shouldn't be too exuberant about the Paralympians we don't want to upset anyone.

Oh yes we should they are a bloody credit, watched Ellie Simmonds earlier me & wife shouting for her, she was incredible. I've watched quite a bit of paralympics, and think I saw 2 events in others. :):):):):)

Oh yes we should they are a bloody credit, watched Ellie Simmonds earlier me & wife shouting for her, she was incredible. I've watched quite a bit of paralympics, and think I saw 2 events in others. :):):):):)

What I mean by my opening statement is that the paralympians are amazing and we should shout it from the rooftops, don't mean to upset anyone if i did, in no way was I being sarcastic???

They make me quite humble these people, through all the adversity they go through & to do this well keep the faith

UTB

What I mean by my opening statement is that the paralympians are amazing and we should shout it from the rooftops, don't mean to upset anyone if i did, in no way was I being sarcastic???

They make me quite humble these people, through all the adversity they go through & to do this well keep the faith

UTB

I saw Ellie Simmonds too,and she was amazing! the emotion she showed reminded me of Jessica Ennis,that expression of delight and tears of joy.

As you say all the Paralympians are amazing and praise is well deserved.We gave plenty of praise to the Olympians so why not the Paralympians,and we shouldn't feel we have to hold back from doing so just because it might appear that we are only paying attension to their acchievments because they are disabled, and anyway praise isn't what they are looking for we all know that,that isn't the reason they are taking part.

I've only watched it in dribs and drabs myself,which was the same with the Olympics,but they're is much more to it then just the sports,its been so special in so many ways and for many different reasons.

I saw Ellie Simmonds too,and she was amazing! the emotion she showed reminded me of Jessica Ennis,that expression of delight and tears of joy.

As you say all the Paralympians are amazing and praise is well deserved.We gave plenty of praise to the Olympians so why not the Paralympians,and we shouldn't feel we have to hold back from doing so just because it might appear that we are only paying attension to their acchievments because they are disabled, and anyway praise isn't what they are looking for we all know that,that isn't the reason they are taking part.

I've only watched it in dribs and drabs myself,which was the same with the Olympics,but they're is much more to it then just the sports,its been so special in so many ways and for many different reasons.

As you say they aren't looking for praise, just recognition they can & do compete; kudos to them, they make me very humble :cool:

As you say they aren't looking for praise, just recognition they can & do compete; kudos to them, they make me very humble :cool:

Yes recognition is a good description.If it helps to change attitudes and perceptions that won't be a bad thing,because they're are still some negative attitudes towards the disabled in some sections of society.

I've just been watching a little of it now,I've noticed that the commentary has improved as its gone on.

In the studio they were discussing the disability Cerebral Palsy and after that showed some pre-recorded interviews which are the parts i like to see.

The enthusiam of the GB team spirit seems to be on par with the Olympians too.

I hope the remarks spoken by Oscar Pretorius don't take away the glory the games have produced.

The irony is that when the media focus on these type of incidents,it adds more interest to the games!

Ellie Simmonds has broken another record!!!!

I hope the remarks spoken by Oscar Pretorius don't take away the glory the games have produced.

The irony is that when the media focus on these type of incidents,it adds more interest to the games!

Ellie Simmonds has broken another record!!!!

The guy's apologised and there's always complaints at big sporting events, it'll be forgotten.

I don't think it's extremely complex by any means.

People are disabled in different ways - there is no exact science to measuring if person A is more or less disabled than person B - a grading system is the best that we've got. It's not perfect, but it is the best we've got.

That’s all well and good but its still open to abuse, it’s a bit like a golfer playing off 10 when every one knows his handicap is really 5, cheating would be difficult to prove and was only highlighted by the incident after the running last night.

it’s a bit like a golfer playing off 10 when every one knows his handicap is really 5

I'm not a golfer. What does that mean?

cheating would be difficult to prove and was only highlighted by the incident after the running last night.

The Pistorius incident wasn't cheating. It was a complaint about equipment that broke no rules.

Archived