Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

Not sure of the politics here but it has something to do with him competing in both Olympics. The rules applied differ slightly as to how long the blades can be. Unfortunately for the South African he had no choice but to run with the blades he had. Had he only run at the Paralympics he could have used blades of the same length as the Brazilian. There's probably more to it but that I gather is the jist of it.

I'm not a golfer. What does that mean?

The Pistorius incident wasn't cheating. It was a complaint about equipment that broke no rules.

Golfers are handicapped according to how good they are, now if a major event was coming up and someone put in a few “dodgy” rounds they could manipulate their handicap to their advantage ………. You cant prove it but it happens.

someone put in a few “dodgy” rounds they could manipulate their handicap to their advantage ……….

So your argument is that somebody could fake a worse disability, in order to have an advantage when it came to competing?

The problem you've got here is that the disability is graded on type, mainly, and not severity. For example the runners were graded on how much of the limb they have, and not how well that limb works. You can't fake having no knee, for example.

I'll take your point though. I'm sure at some point someone may try to bend the rules to their advantage. It does happen.

Golfers are handicapped according to how good they are, now if a major event was coming up and someone put in a few “dodgy” rounds they could manipulate their handicap to their advantage ………. You cant prove it but it happens.

No it doesn't because everyone playing in the championships plays off scratch, So Tiger Woods would play off exactly the same handicap as I would.

All the events are unfair I suppose. There's no two people who have exactly the same disability and effect on the body. So some have an unfair advantage.

Lets be honest, the whole event is a chance for able bodied people to show how lovely they are by patronizing all those unfortunate disabled people..

Where he will find out that no rules were broken. His only mistake was his choice of venue to air his complaint but he and the rest of the world expected him to win so I suppose he was pretty darned upset at the time.

Can't say i blame him, but not the right time to display his anger,though i'm sure most people will understand how he felt at the time.

Archived