Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

Did anyone just see that, the closing Paralympic ceremony, all I can say is wow, now that is how you do it, Coldplay absolutely smashed it to pieces and there were so many god damn fireworks it looked like Guy Fawkes had be resurrected from the grave.

My opinions of this mind boggingly extraordinary golden year of sport is simple. Team GB - Mission accomplished.

And to all the volunteers, games makers, organisers and producers - A job very well done indeed.

Tomorrow will be the biggest and most agonising withdrawal symptom ever.

The olympics have done no end of good for this country in so many ways.

Biggest shame was it had to go to channel 4 in the first place. Is the paraolympics not good enough for the Beeb! It seems in some quaters they are still second rate citizens.

Maybe they had to share it, a bit like the World Cup matches with BBC & ITV.

Or maybe C4 is just seen as the home as the differently abled? They've always been portrayed as a bit of a "lefty" station with programming for the minorities.

Or maybe its because of this:

BBC's £280m to keep Six Nations and Wimbledon

BBC Sport are committing to pay a sum approaching £300million to secure long-term coverage of two events at a time when the corporation is being ravaged by across-the-board cuts and job losses.

The price for last week's three-year deal to extend Wimbledon coverage until 2017 is understood to be around £40m-a-year. This is far more than the amount being speculated about after the secretive contact with the All England Club was announced without any financial detail, despite the BBC being a public service broadcaster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2056333/BBCs-280m-Six-Nations-Wimbledon--Charles-Sale.html

Because firstly it meant adverts.

Secondly we all know the primary tv station in this country is the BBC so for the BBC not to have it is an appaling indictment on how the government feels about the paraolympics. If the olympics were good enough for Auntie then so should be the paraolympics.

Perhaps that a total of 4 weeks extensive coverage of sporting events may have been a bit much for the BBC, someone is bound to have complained.

Maybe they had to share it, a bit like the World Cup matches with BBC & ITV.

No, the paralympics are a seperate rights package, which the BBC bidded for them, and subsequently lost out to C4.

Unlike the main games rights (which are now awarded in packages by the IOC, the BBC have the rights to the 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020 games), the paralympic rights are awarded by the organising committees for each games, so the next paralympic games rights will be awarded by the Brazillian organising committee, so could go back to the BBC, or C4 may bid again.

Did anyone just see that, the closing Paralympic Coldplay absolutely smashed it to pieces and there were so many god damn fireworks it looked like Guy Fawkes had be resurrected from the grave

Yes i loved it,Coldplay did smash it,but i was expecting Sir Paul McCartney to come on at the end singing Hey Jude,so it gave me a bit of a downer when he didn't appear.

Did anyone just see that, the closing Paralympic Coldplay absolutely smashed it to pieces and there were so many god damn fireworks it looked like Guy Fawkes had be resurrected from the grave

Yes i loved it,Coldplay did smash it,but i was expecting Sir Paul McCartney to come on at the end singing Hey Jude,so it gave me a bit of a downer when he didn't appear.

I thought thank god he didn't come on, he has no right to be a part of every single ceremony, since what has he ever done since the Beatles apart from marry gold digging grave robbers.

Where is it a political statement? :loopy:

I think you'll find that Seb is a Tory peer, you ignorant little man.

OK, well if its was not a political statement, go ahead and thank Boris Johnson for hosting the games so well and David Cameron's government for delivering what is being called the best games ever.

What a great summer this has been for Great Britain.

It has certainly put us back on the sporting map.

I just hope the government backs up all the promises to push and promote all the young talent that they will get, wanting to get involved now that they have seen what can happen if you work hard at a certain sport and succeed.

Archived