Paralympic Games (inc. opening/closing ceremonies) 2012

What a great summer this has been for Great Britain.

It has certainly put us back on the sporting map.

Apparently the United States only broadcast very limited coverage of the olympics; their right-wing media probably dont want Americans to see that there is a country, a small country at that, that punches above its weight, that is vibrant and dynamic and good at sports.

I'm happy the hullaballoo is over at last.

The Olympics was bad enough; over hyped and over here, but then we had to suffer more stretching of lycra to breaking point when the para lot set about re-writing the record books.

Does anybody actually care?

It's got to be bigger, brighter, higher, faster, further than last time. It is. So?

It has to be tearful, happy, frustrating and all with a camera stuck in your face to capture it. You're not allowed to choose the moments you like as the media tell you what to like, what it means, what to think and most people are too TV blitzed to think for themselves.

I didn't watch a single TV moment of it. That was avoidable. Radio was more difficult with R5 claiming to be the para olympic station. Yeah.

Disability will disappear as an issue covered by the media until 4 years have passed. Lip service. Then more of the same. Tania what not wheeled out again to give her two pennorth for what that is worth. Some other ex-athlete sitting on a sofa as the token disabled person given a voice. And more from a Chirs Evans clone asking banal idiocy like 'How can you hit a tennis ball in a wheel chair?'

I wonder how disabled persons feel now they are portrayed as being athletes rather than people with a disability? But then they are not involved in this TV frenzy; their views are not newsworthy because they are not part of the circus. They remain too ordinary, like you or I, and therefore there's no story in that.

It was TV. Nothing more and nothing less. Followed by Emmerdale.

Next.

I'm happy the hullaballoo is over at last.

The Olympics was bad enough; over hyped and over here, but then we had to suffer more stretching of lycra to breaking point when the para lot set about re-writing the record books.

Does anybody actually care?

'

I wonder how disabled persons feel now they are portrayed as being athletes rather than people with a disability? But then they are not involved in this TV frenzy; their views are not newsworthy because they are not part of the circus. They remain too ordinary, like you or I, and therefore there's no story in that.

It was sporting event! not a circus?

It would be ridiculous to suggest that all disabled people should compare themselves to trained athletes,for most that is impossible,just getting out of bed into a wheelchair is an acchievment for so many,and a painful activity at that,as well as many other normal activities that most of us take for granted.

Most able bodied person don't aspire to be like Olympian athletes,and are realistic enough to realise they don't possess that ability,but we can still admire them, as we can with the Paralympians,who have fought a hard battle to gain an accomplishment most of us couldn't even begin to imagine.

OK, well if its was not a political statement, go ahead and thank Boris Johnson for hosting the games so well and David Cameron's government for delivering what is being called the best games ever.

So you agree that Tony Blair, Seb Coe and David Beckham were responsible for bringing the best games ever to Great Britain?

Obviously, thanks must also go to Boris Johnson and David Cameron's government for not cocking up what was handed to them on a plate.

[quote=

I thought thank god he didn't come on, he has no right to be a part of every single ceremony, since what has he ever done since the Beatles apart from marry gold digging grave robbers.

Well i made that comment about Paul McCartney not coming on at the end because of all the fuss on the Olympic thread about how terrible his voice

was, which i admit has deteriorated recently.

I'm a loyal Beatles fan you see,and still hold Paul in high regard,in spite of the weak voice now.

As for your remark "marry gold digging grave robbers" i'm a bit puzzled about the meaning of that.

So you agree that Tony Blair, Seb Coe and David Beckham were responsible for bringing the best games ever to Great Britain?

Obviously, thanks must also go to Boris Johnson and David Cameron's government for not cocking up what was handed to them on a plate.

You couldn't resist could you :roll:

Archived