Do you think Concorde would still be flying had it not been for the crash?

Would concorde still be flying if one hadn't crashed?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would concorde still be flying if one hadn't crashed?

• Yes
    • No
    • other

Just a poll then I guess. It would and should not fly, is my answer. The days of ticker-taping 60's tech are over.

The programme showed the stats, that it used 2 gallons/sec.

A 3 hour flight comes to £1500 per person (of 100 (approx and providing full plane), or £3000 return just in fuel. They did charge £6k for that journey.

When they compared the luxury jets at £34k return, it blows C out of the water. 14 peoples, £2500 each and luxury travel rather than cramped travel.

I'm now satisfied that C was like man on moon, a great achievement.

It wasn't really the Air France Concorde crash that killed off the aircraft. The Concorde was for a time a huge cash cow for BA, ( can't comment on how it performed for AF ) flying between 2 of the worlds major business cities, London & NYC. What other aircraft could fly an executive from London at 10.30am and arrive in NYC for 9.20am, ready to do a days business. For that reason the morning Heathrow to NYC Concorde flight was more popular than the returns from NYC to Heathrow.

What really killed the aircraft off was it started to become a major PITA maintenance wise, it was thirsty as hell. I'm sure i read somewhere The Concorde used around 400 gallons of fuel just to taxi to the runway from the terminal at Heathrow and with fuel prices on the increase operating costs sky rocketed and in the end Airbus washed their hands with the aircraft and without the support of Airbus the aircraft was as good as dead for BA & AF.

The Air France crash didn't ultimately kill off The Concorde, although the cost of the upgrades needed to get it airworthy again didn't help, but even if the crash had not taken place the aircraft still would not be flying in the skies today.

A lot of Concorde's frequent fliers died on 9/11.

Quite right, I remember watching a documentary that stated 40 of the most frequent Concorde flyers died on 9/11. Which would have had a huge short term impact on revenues.

Archived