Any old churches open in the daytime?

I have a bit of interest in looking around old chuches (inside). Due to all the thefts etc, churches tend to be locked-up unless there is a service ongoing. Does anyone know of any that are open during the day for browsing around?

I don`t mind travelling in to Derbyshire as that would be a little drive out in the countryside too, although not wanting to drive too far.

Thanks

Better be careful how you answer this one - we wouldn't want to advertise too much to any 'white van man' out there, would we? :suspect:

They're more likely to come at night and take the lead from the roof aren't they as has happened a few times at Bradfield Church? In the old days it was bodies they were after for anatomists, and that's what the little house at the church entrance at Bradfield is for.

It's the place that the man who guarded the graves lived.

Almost all churches I know are locked when empty. AFAIK it's been like that since the '80s. Bradfield is locked up too, and all the valuables are removed because some have been stolen before. I think the church is open with someone there to welcome visitors on Sunday afternoons.

If there are particular churches you want access to, why not contact the vicar who should at least be able to arrange for a key holder to meet you there and show you around. I don't think any church would willfully deny access to a member of the public, it would be pretty mean spirited if they did.

Almost all churches I know are locked when empty. AFAIK it's been like that since the '80s. Bradfield is locked up too, and all the valuables are removed because some have been stolen before. I think the church is open with someone there to welcome visitors on Sunday afternoons.

That is my understanding too biotech.

The days of churches being open to all and sundry are long gone and it's not just churches in the countryside which are seeing their wooden doors padlocked.

St John The Baptist in Ranmoor is often locked in the daytime which is an absolute shame because I really could have done with ten minutes in there a few months back. Having to ask to be let in makes one feel a nuisance so I don't tend to bother.

Recently, I have tried to gain access to churches in the centre of Oldham and Leeds; both were locked.

When one is a believer in the Christian faith and is denied access into God's House then something is clearly wrong.

In the case of St John's, it was a case of "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

[Matthew 11:28 NIV]. If only!

Archived