Any old churches open in the daytime?

That's just weird, because the only time I remember finding a chuch locked was in Kirkby Stephen in 2009. It turned out the reason was because there was a Gypsy Horse Fair in the village that day.

The days of churches being open to all and sundry are long gone and it's not just churches in the countryside which are seeing their wooden doors padlocked.

St John The Baptist in Ranmoor is often locked in the daytime which is an absolute shame because I really could have done with ten minutes in there a few months back. Having to ask to be let in makes one feel a nuisance so I don't tend to bother.

Recently, I have tried to gain access to churches in the centre of Oldham and Leeds; both were locked.

When one is a believer in the Christian faith and is denied access into God's House then something is clearly wrong.

In the case of St John's, it was a case of "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

[Matthew 11:28 NIV]. If only!

Nagel,

Would you not be prepared to list half a dozen or so old churches that are open please. It seems that you are one of the few with the info. Thanks.

its in Derbyshire, Ashover. Park here S45 0BA if you have satnav, else just follow the P signs, then walk to the church that you will probably drive past. its called all saints and has a rather special font, and was part of the civil war, look on wikipedia for some info, also has an ice cream shop and the old poets corner does nice food.

some pics here

also there is the ruin of the saxon church at heath village you could go to, look at the sets on that flickr, and you will see some pics of it

If you fancy a trip out then the church at Tideswell was open last time I was there a year or two ago, and it's a lovely church.

ok thanks, I`ll get some more info on that one. Probably best to compile a list & plan my route.

That stained glass looks marvellous Garbo. So much detail & work went in to buildings etc years ago, lots done manually I would imagine.

Nagel,

Would you not be prepared to list half a dozen or so old churches that are open please. It seems that you are one of the few with the info. Thanks.

Churches I have visited in the last month or two

Leominster Abbey

Ludlow

Eardisland*

Pembridge*

Shobdon*

Kilpeck*

Dore Abbey*

Bacton*

Skenfrith*

* All the ones marked with an asterisk were unattended. You might notice a theme, they're all in Herefordshire or close by because that's where I went on my hols.

Archived