56.7% of birth in London to foreign mums

I think the Olympics gave expression to a Britain and its capital that has a relaxed and self-confident view of nationality and Britishness; women in Jamaican flag dresses with union flag nail art, a celebration of Elgar, Dizzee Rascal and William Blake rolled into one, Mo Farah batting back stupid questions about whether he wished he were running for Somalia, even staunch non-patriots like myself cheering on Farah and Jess Ennis, not because they're British but because they seem like decent people who have achieved something special.

To me it signalled a country that is largely happy with fairly ambiguous and fluid notions of identity and that is pretty relaxed about Britishness; much less concerned with kings and queens and wars, and more interested in how people live their daily lives alongside each other. I felt it marked the demise of the constipated, rigid notions of what it is to be British espoused by the uptight Daily Mail sheet-sniffers and their ilk, and I was happy about that.

I think the Olympics gave expression to a Britain and its capital that has a relaxed and self-confident view of nationality and Britishness; women in Jamaican flag dresses with union flag nail art, a celebration of Elgar, Dizzee Rascal and William Blake rolled into one, Mo Farah batting back stupid questions about whether he wished he were running for Somalia, even staunch non-patriots like myself cheering on Farah and Jess Ennis, not because they're British but because they seem like decent people who have achieved something special.

To me it signalled a country that is largely happy with fairly ambiguous and fluid notions of identity and that is pretty relaxed about Britishness, much less concerned with kings and queens and wars, and more interested in how people live their daily lives alongside each other. I felt it marked the demise of the constipated, rigid notions of what it is to be British espoused by the uptight Daily Mail sheet-sniffers and their ilk, and I was happy about that.

Gold medal award. ;)

Well put Mr Prime, I understand your point, but in the final analysis the electorate has consistently voted from a less than reactionary standpoint and parties with a focus on an anti immigration agenda perform poorly at the ballot box.

I think most of us are sick of the negative aspects of immigration, however they're superseded by the positive ones, as I said before for every good thing there are negative aspects to it..I'd love to own a Ferrari, but would moan bitterly about the fuel and maintenance costs, but it doesn't affect my desire to take ownership of one.

The conservatives seem to have done ok, perhaps you should rethink that one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/10/tories-nasty-party-immigration-families

The conservatives seem to have done ok, perhaps you should rethink that one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/10/tories-nasty-party-immigration-families

They didn't do that well though did they ret, unable to win without the Lib Dumbs. BF is wrong though as Thatcher famously milked the anti-immigration sentiment of the late '70's and castrated your own party with her 'swamping' comments.

They didn't do that well though did they ret, unable to win without the Lib Dumbs. BF is wrong though as Thatcher famously milked the anti-immigration sentiment of the late '70's and castrated your own party with her 'swamping' comments.

That's true Wednesday, but there were other factors (as well as immigration) that brought Thatcher to power in 79.

Archived