Pembroke Street, off Cemetry Road

susiquew

Can anyone remember Pembroke Street, off Cemetry Road, around1950. I was born there in 1952 and left in 1955. The houses have been knocked down now so don't know if my memories are accurate...the street doesn't even seem to exist any more as there is a health centre, DVLA etc where it used to be.

That's great...thanks so much ...and such a prompt response! We were at number 7, my father is Stuart (it's spelt incorrectly on the document you sent) Ryalls. I remember the names of the immediate neighbours and someone named 'Colgrave', not listed. Were you local? We now live in Mansfield, Notts but all my family are from Sheffield. I wonder if there are any photos of Pembroke Street in existence. I'm really grateful for what you sent, best wishes

Hello again susiquew - no, I didn't live locally but my uncle lived nearby in Napier Street and I remember Pembroke Street..

The Local Studies Library will have photos of Pembroke Street. Many (but by no means all) of the photos they have can be accessed via http://www.picturesheffield.com - here are two .links to photos on the website taken from the top of the street..:)

Thanks once again, marvellous to see photos, amazing what I can remember. Sorry not to be able to reply personally but forum won't let me at the moment because of me being a new member I think, just trying to suss it out! All my family were from the Sharrow area when I was a child, moving out to Fulwood, Nether Green and Whirlow later. I was a King Ecgbert girl!I see you are from Dykes Hall Road originally. My dad's sister and family were on Meredith Road which I think was at the top of Dykes Hall Road, or nearby anyway. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction anyway...have only just started taking an interest in the past...must be my age!

Hello again susiquew - no, I didn't live locally but my uncle lived nearby in Napier Street and I remember Pembroke Street..

The Local Studies Library will have photos of Pembroke Street. Many (but by no means all) of the photos they have can be accessed via http://www.picturesheffield.com - here are two .links to photos on the website taken from the top of the street..:)

What a nice chap :)

...I was a King Ecgbert girl!
And I'm a King Edward's (very) old boy!

...My dad's sister and family were on Meredith Road which I think was at the top of Dykes Hall Road, or nearby...
Yep - it was on my way to Malin Bridge school. That was in the 1950s... Bloomin' heck - am I really that old?....

What a nice chap :)
Oh - this might go to my head....:blush:

• 1 year later...

Hello susiquew, I was born next door at number 5 in 1961. My mum and dad moved in there in 1956 so you must have just moved out, my mum says the Guests were living there then (they're still alive and living in Cudworth). I remember the Colgraves, they lived in the corner of the yard if I remember rightly.

Archived