First time abroad with children - recommendations?

it may be best to consider entire journey time, not just the flight

Perhaps consider flights from Doncaster first, and look for a short transfer at the other end

Well East Mids is less than hour, Manchester and Birmingham not much more - I'm sure an 11 year old can cope with an extra 20 minutes in the car..

Same with transfers at the other end - I'm sure an 11 year old can amuse themselves with a few games of Angry Birds for the duration!

Canaries aren't too hot in August, despite being so southerly, and closer to the equator than Cyprus. Those Atlantic winds, keep the temps down. The north of Tenerife, for example, is also noticeably cooler than the south, where the biggest resorts are. Average temp in Puerto de La Cruz, is only about 25C in August. On the southern coast, it's more like 30C.

of course even 25C, which would not be too hot for me, could easily be too hot for somebody else.

don't worry about the flight, she'll love it, even if it's 4.5 hours.

The lakes in Italy are great in the summer. Hot, but you get a nice breeze from the mountains. We went to a Eurocamp a couple of years ago with my friends and their two children who were 4 and 10 at the time. The flight was quick, the transfer was only 30 minutes. Would definitely recommend.

We also went to Malta was the same family - a lot hotter, but easily remedied with a dip in the pool. The flights again were quick, direct and no hassle. I think as long as you don't build flying up for your daughter as something that is a big dangerous thing, she will be ok. (And this comes from someone who has to take a diazepam before a flight!). Make sure she has plenty of quiet activities for the flight, as boredom can be the worst thing! Enjoy your holiday :)

Thank you all for the recommendations. :)

She doesn't have a problem travelling, we've just done a drive to Ireland and back, so the airport run isn't really an issue.

It's just a family holiday, bit of sight seeing and plenty of time by the pool (hopefully). But she does catch the sun quite easily being fair skinned which is the reason for asking as she isn't used to the heat.

I will check out some of the suggestions!

The Balearics have shorter flights - approx 2.5 hrs - Menorca is my favorite of them - much less commercial than the others , quite low key but still as some sightseeing opportunities (there are caves in the South and a couple of towns - the old capital and the new, a mountain with a monastry at the top.....)

Menorca is fantastic for a chilled out holiday. We have been twice, both times towards the end of September and the temperature was mid 20's both times. We always stay in a villa. Its a lot cheaper than you think. We normally pay between £500 and £700 for a week and we are right on the beach. Cala n Bosch is fantastic and has a great marina surrounded by nice little resteraunts and cafes. My kids are 11 and 8 now and they loved it. You get your own private pool so there is no worrying about getting a good spot. The people we usually book through are Villaparade, and the customer service is excellent.

The Balearics have shorter flights - approx 2.5 hrs - Menorca is my favorite of them - much less commercial than the others , quite low key but still as some sightseeing opportunities (there are caves in the South and a couple of towns - the old capital and the new, a mountain with a monastry at the top.....)

Agree,Menorca and some quiter resorts in Majorca have all the fun but no night clubs so that tends to keep the 18/30s ect away.Would strongly reccomend a look :)

Archived