Unsporting Olympic Behaviour - A Disgrace.

Chris Evans patronises the disabled in his One Show interview but he’s not alone.

The BBC go over the top in their coverage on radio as do ITV whereas just a few years ago disability was not included in any way shape or form of mainstream programming. But we never hear that publicised.

Mainly because the truth is an unpalatable fact.

Disability deserves its place in society wherever that is. It certainly isn’t helped by patronising coverage, stupid questioning or reactions that differ from those shown to able bodied athletes.

And yet we see disabled athletes conducting themselves in exemplary ways and doing much to aid their cause and palya fully role in all aspects and at all levels of society.

Or so I thought.

All of which brings me to the reaction of disqualified cyclist Jody Cundy. Rules are rules whether you are disabled or not and sport is about magnanimous winning and gracious acceptance of losing.

His reaction was an absolute disgrace and the foul mouthed totally obscene language is unacceptable in any circumstances. He is a total disgrace to the Olympic movement and should have no place in it.

It is sport. Nothing more and nothing less. A reality check is needed.

He embarrassed his sport, his team mates and the nation.

Being disabled is not the issue nor is it an excuse. Being able to accept the rules of the sport is the starting point and he let everyone down.

No apology after the debacle can excuse it.

He is human, he trained for 4 years and wasted it, many would be angry disabled or not.

It reads as though you expect disabled athletes should be better behaved than their abled counterparts, I'm sure you could make a thread a day about someone in sports somewhere swearing on camera for one reason or another.

My opinion is that the Paralympics should have been combined with the Olympics, and given equal credence.

IMO, just because an athlete has an amputation, a visual impairment, or uses a wheelchair, does not make them any less valid as an Olympian/ athlete/ person than anyone else.

Sadly, the media contributed to the offence by seeking out his parents to get them to add fuel to the fire of protest. He's apologised, but the media have concentrated on his original outburst. He does know the rules, and once you start bending them where do you then draw a line?

I bet most of us would be ...... fed up to be disqualified after training for 4 years! Having a camera thrust in front of your face at that moment isn't what you want. These guys aren't used to the publicity other athletes receive.

They are adisgrace.

The difference is that the Olympics is the nearest you get to 'amateur' sport without the big money. Certainly without the footballers big money.

They are doing it for what? Pride, the honour, representing your country, following the few chosen, gifted, priviledged few who ever make it to the level - disabled or not.

And let's be clear ....... that obscene rant matched anything any footballer ever screamed down the camera lens; even by Mr. Rooney.

We expect it from the rubbish footballers. We don't expect it at the Olympics - para or not - it is totally against the entire spirit of the games.

Swearing while playing football is not - unfortunately.

My opinion is that the Paralympics should have been combined with the Olympics, and given equal credence.

IMO, just because an athlete has an amputation, a visual impairment, or uses a wheelchair, does not make them any less valid as an Olympian/ athlete/ person than anyone else.

Have to agree. People have to mix and cope in all other everyday situations, why is the Olympics any different? Quite odd really!

Chris Evans patronises the disabled in his One Show interview but he’s not alone.

The BBC go over the top in their coverage on radio as do ITV whereas just a few years ago disability was not included in any way shape or form of mainstream programming. But we never hear that publicised.

Mainly because the truth is an unpalatable fact.

Disability deserves its place in society wherever that is. It certainly isn’t helped by patronising coverage, stupid questioning or reactions that differ from those shown to able bodied athletes.

And yet we see disabled athletes conducting themselves in exemplary ways and doing much to aid their cause and palya fully role in all aspects and at all levels of society.

Or so I thought.

All of which brings me to the reaction of disqualified cyclist Jody Cundy. Rules are rules whether you are disabled or not and sport is about magnanimous winning and gracious acceptance of losing.

His reaction was an absolute disgrace and the foul mouthed totally obscene language is unacceptable in any circumstances. He is a total disgrace to the Olympic movement and should have no place in it.

It is sport. Nothing more and nothing less. A reality check is needed.

He embarrassed his sport, his team mates and the nation.

Being disabled is not the issue nor is it an excuse. Being able to accept the rules of the sport is the starting point and he let everyone down.

No apology after the debacle can excuse it.

Seems like its damned if they do, damned if they dont, with you!

Guest makapaka

Who's said they are less valid? Why has it been given less credence?

Archived