Cbt and 125cc question

heyup quick question

ive heard now you can pass your cbt on a scooter and then ride a geard bike upto a 125cc

as long as you are ovr 17 and have Category A Provisional status

so you no longer have to take cbt on a geared bike to ride one

my question is i passed my car test in jan 2001 i no i can ride a scooter without taking a cbt ect..

can i ride a bike upto 125cc tho? im sur i once checked couple of years ago and answr was no! but now that they have changed a few things just wondred if i could now??

You can ride a scooter on a provisional license as long as you keep the L plates on..think this is just a 49cc...not sure on 125cc...i had a 49cc and I didn't take a cbt test and I got insurance but one insurance company wouldn't give me insurance as they were saying I had to have had a cbt, but a company I ended up using never asked for it

Unless you pass your test on a bike then you can't ride any bike without L plates and you will be restricted to 125cc or less

You need to complete a CBT if you want to ride any bike unless you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001, although I would recommend you do one anyway

Full details at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

Archived