Electric plug question

Bought a brand new electrical fire and of course it comes with a sealed plug,my query is that I need to push the wire through a hole in the fireplace which means I need to cut the plug off and fit another one, is this OK?

Have a look at the terminals in the fire itself - it may be easier to disconnect and reconnect here, and you wont need to provide a new plug. However, you may not wish to open the back of the fire, and there may be restrictions regarding validity of the guarantee if you do. But it may be worth a look.

I believe cutting off a sealed plug will void warranty for any electrical faults with the product as they could claim that damage was caused by yourself, indirectly!

Unless it's fitted by a qualified electrician who can provide a PAT certificate to prove it's been tested and is safe.

It shouldn't invalidate the warranty, as there are a myriad of reasons why the plug would have to be removed (best example being that it's hardwired into a fused connection plate).

I know it doesn't affect the warranty on equipment supplied with European plugs if you swap them for UK ones, and this is basically the same thing.

In this situation, I would check it works. I would then look at disconnecting it at the back of the fire, installing it and reconnecting. This sort of equipment usually has a junction box which are typically easier to connect than a plug, other that you might have to remove a panel first.

Of course, if when you look at it you don't understand what you are doing, then leave well alone.

Neeeeeek,

I cannot believe you bothered to reply with a pathetic comment. The forum is aimed at helping those folk who don't have the knowledge that you obviously are blessed with.

Its just a plug but can be dangerous, what a plonker!

Archived