General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

Choose which one of these is most likely correct. I think it's the second.

First I heard an American company had bought the old post office on Fitzalan Square for £10,000,000 and are awaitng planning permission to turn it into a luxury Grand Hotel.

Second I read recently in a newspaper that Sheffield City Council are the new owners and they intend demolishing the entire building and transforming all the site and Fitzalan Square into a new mini parkland, simular to the Peace Garden which is beside the Town Hall.

Easy to check. For £3, buy a copy of the title register from HMLR. https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

• 4 weeks later...

What's happening to this building on Flat Street?

I'm 21 and I can't ever remember it being used, it's appeared derelict for as long as I can remember which is a shame because it's a nice building.

Now it just seems to host undesirables who gather outside drinking after gambling at the bookies adjacent.

So my question is really..what did it used to be, and what will it be? It's a really nice building.

• 2 years later...

I thought this had already happened so am surprised to hear they haven't even signed contracts yet

Quote from the article - A Langland spokeswoman said they expected to make an official announcement by Wednesday.

Wednesday is 1st April - hope they aren't trying to trick us

University have bought it , going to be apartments

foxy78

The University hasn't bought it. They've leased it.

It's not going to be apartments, it's going to be used for teaching.

The owners may resume development of the lower part of the site, and that might be flats.