General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

"I'd love to see the whole complex become something like Leeds Corn Exchange, full of independent shops and stalls and art.

But I suppose it won't. "

It would be so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been suggesting the same thing for years so would be really pleased to see it used for some good instead of just converted to flats.

Another good commercial building being turned into flats... how many flats do we actually need?

More than we currently have according to Sheff Telegraph.

Could have been used as a market hall with a bit of internal gutting. For fruit/veg, meat etc. No cheapo clothing stalls and general tat.

I imagine those far thinking planners at the Council will see fit to adorn the exterior of it with those beautiful multicoloured plastic panels, like they've allowed on Park Hill Flats and turn it into something really useful like a Space Station or Penguin rehabilitation centre. :rolleyes:

AS long as it isn't pulled down like a lot of our past heritage I don't mind, but the idea of independent shops, art etc. appeals to me.

We'll see. I hope they keep the red brick buildings too, including the ones round the back, and the courtyard. Be great for a bar/restaurant/cafe!

Reyt sun trap.

• 2 weeks later...