General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

Yeah but this one is right in the City Center, a stones throw from the train station and everyone knows about it. Too much red tape and a council with an old fashioned mentality puts developers off and prevents investment.

It's not the council that's preventing development. It's the amount of likely profit for the developer.

Hi

We were looking to get invloved with this site some time ago but sadly the previous architectural practice I was with pulled out of Sheffield and when the latest owners purchased the building we were unable to get involved. The building was purchased this time with the intention of turning it into Student accommodation - I would assume the developer held such discussions with the local authority in conjunction with the agent selling prior to agreeing to purchase, or at least with some sort of caveat regarding planning and listed building consent and therefore this will be the likely outcome.

I have been trying for some time to get some developer contacts interested in the old town hall/ former court building opposite the markets. Everyone agrees on the potential of this building but sadly no one is willing to take a punt at a long term investment. Once the market building is pulled down and the remains of the castle are exposed this should dramatically increase the viability of this building. It could then act as a catalist for the whole area.

Not sure of what peoples perceptions of urban splash are but this is exactly the type of builidng project they have become renowned for in other areas - taking on a project that no-one else is interested in or think will work, being creative and clever and managing to pull it off. Just a shame all their finance is tied up in Park Hill and they cant spend any money on developments until sorted. I imagine it is unlikely they could pursuade others to take the same sort of creative gamble that they have been willing to take either.

To be honest i'm glad that it fell through it would have been awful being turned into student flats!the old post office really should be some kind of market like some of the arts and crafts markets there are in Camden.

To be honest i'm glad that it fell through it would have been awful being turned into student flats!the old post office really should be some kind of market like some of the arts and crafts markets there are in Camden.

What's 'awful' about student flats? Students contribute a lot of income to the city and generate commerce. Not to mention that the whole point of dedicated student accommodation is to free up private rented dwellings for the permanent Sheffield population. Let's make up our minds what we want.

What's 'awful' about student flats? Students contribute a lot of income to the city and generate commerce. Not to mention that the whole point of dedicated student accommodation is to free up private rented dwellings for the permanent Sheffield population. Let's make up our minds what we want.

Nobody said student flats are awful. He said converting this fine building into student flats would be awful. Do keep up.

The problem with this building is

Its big

Its on more than one level

Part of it is listed

So what you do with it is difficult suspect the knock inside down and build a new inside wont be an opotion as part of the inside is listed the stairs and the ceilings are I beleive cos the front counter as a superb ceiling

Using this building for student flats would be awful I have nothing against student flats. This building would be wasted being student flats, it's a grand building and should be open for the people to use. Like I said something like a market or maybe even an art gallery would better suit this building.

......... it's a grand building and should be open for the people to use.

Why should the building be open for the public to use, remember only around 1% of the old building had access to the public, this building as now been empty since 2004 ish (aprox) it needs to be sealed and used other wise it will be lost if it ends up in none public use then so be it. Remember that people ahve tried to use it for various things including a pub , indeed this was in the pipe line even before the building was closed.