Alcatraz Island

I doubt it, if you had risked your life escaping the most secure and iconic escape-proof prison known to man, do you think you would be silly enough to commit a petty crime to just be put back in there, plus, the Anglins were expert swimmers and knew how to negotiate currents plus Morris was the Harry Houdini of criminals who had attempted to escape every single prison which has detained him, with this in mind he would have been craftier than a car salesman on the outside and blended in without notice.

The Anglin brothers were from Georgia. Where would they have learned to be expert swimmers? Swimming in a lake or a river isn't the same thing as the bay. They were bank robbers, which is not a petty crime in the US. It's a felony and will get you locked up for a long time. They wouldn't have been happy working at menial jobs or committing petty crimes which didn't yield much loot. Neither was very well educated or interested in self improvement to avoid ending up back in prison.

The authorities have never stopped looking for them, and there's always the possibility that someone would have recognized them and turned them in. For sure they would have had to leave the Bay Area.

Frank Morris was from Washington DC, was raised in foster homes and had been in trouble with the law since he was 13. :help:

I read somewhere that one of the Anglins (can't remember which one) had a near genius IQ...but was somehow dumb enough to end up locked up in the worst prison in the US. I guess my grandma was right. Attitude is everything. :hihi:

I really don't believe these guys would have lived the rest of their lives as quiet citizens, escape or not. That's just my opinion. Eventually, the temptation to commit another crime (just this once!) or brag would have got the better of them.

Swimming in the bay looks nice. I've never done it (unless you count taking a dip on a hot summer day off my father in law's sailboat on the leeward side of Alcatraz), but I know people that have and all either swam or played water polo and trained for weeks beforehand. And wore wetsuits.

I agree Sierra. But you know people. They like to add a bit of mystery and romance to any subject especially when it comes to escape attempts from impregnable prisons or bailing out of a hijacked aircraft in the middle of the night with thousands of dollars packed into a travel bag (DB Cooper).

They become heroes in a way. The people who thumb their noses at the world and get away with it.

Movies contribute to a lot of the romantic nonsense also. It only takes the likes of Clint Eastwood to play the part of one of the escapees to automatically suggest that they succeeded. After all how could a guy like Eastwood end up being drowned or inside a shark's belly :hihi:

Look at others who have become folk heroes thanks to Hollywood. Bonnie and Clyde, Doc Holliday, Jesse James but in reality common criminals or cold blooded killers

Mythbusters did an episode which is interesting to watch.

I really don't believe these guys would have had what it takes to stay out of trouble indefinitely. They also sound like rather loathesome individuals and would have ticked off someone, somewhere who would have turned them in.

I personally don't think they made it.

Mythbusters did an episode which is interesting to watch.

I really don't believe these guys would have had what it takes to stay out of trouble indefinitely. They also sound like rather loathesome individuals and would have ticked off someone, somewhere who would have turned them in.

I personally don't think they made it.

A biker pal of mine was called Sid Anglin. We used to kid him that he must have been related to one of the escapees.

He used to joke back saying that whenever he did the Alcatraz tour they always gave him a free pass when he told them his name :hihi:

A biker pal of mine was called Sid Anglin. We used to kid him that he must have been related to one of the escapees.

He used to joke back saying that whenever he did the Alcatraz tour they always gave him a free pass when he told them his name :hihi:

Did that also include 3 days in the hole?

Free pass? How about free room and board for the next twenty years! :D

where was the fictional town of Amity though in the Jaws novel, or film. I assumed it was on Long Island but maybe that was a wrong assumption to make. Wherever Amity was, it was definitely well north.
I'm not sure but think it was more likely to be Cape Cod than Long Island.

I think in the novel it specifically says Amity is on Long Island.
I'm thinking more of the movie than the book. I'm well familiar with both areas, and it just looks more like the Cape to me. If it is LI, it would probably not be in the Sound, more likely the Atlantic coast. When you move from State to State, there are subtle changes in architecture and scenery that define where you are. I need no map or sign to tell me I've left Connecticut and entered New York State or Massachusetts.

Archived