Anyone work on a government work scheme in the 80's

I went on a YTS after leaving school ('88 - '89), £27.50 a week plus travel expenses. For the first week I used 4 busses a day instead of 2 to claim a bit more.

I was at the EITB on Petre Street, gave me a good start. I was there 18 months then went on an apprenticeship and doubled my wages.

i did two years at workshop6,can anybody remember that place?

when it was on Sheldon Row, Wicker, or on Countess Road, Mark?

I worked in the foundry (in Sheldon Row) almost 30 yrs ago, (well, 26) but the muck got on my lungs, and I was always coughing. (horrible ) so I had to jack it in.

I was on £23.50 a week, and then we got a rise (how generous) to £25.00 a week.

PT

I did 3 weeks project Trident at Brampton Garden Centre (no longer exists).

They had me barrowing a mountain of soil from one end of the site to the other.

The next poor sod who followed me had to barrow it back.

Great work experience. :loopy:

Last I hear was the bloke who was the shop floor type boss has done time & the stammering muppet of a sidekick of his has never been heard of since.

Winkers.

when it was on Sheldon Row, Wicker, or on Countess Road, Mark?

I worked in the foundry (in Sheldon Row) almost 30 yrs ago, (well, 26) but the muck got on my lungs, and I was always coughing. (horrible ) so I had to jack it in.

I was on £23.50 a week, and then we got a rise (how generous) to £25.00 a week.

PT

i went when it was on countess rd,i had a spell in the foundry too but i got bored & switched to concrete products.It must be 20 years ago now since i was there,i think the first year i was there i was on £27.50 & then in my 2nd year it rose to £35.00.

god, yeah, i remember doing my yts back in sept '86, i was at Bradshaws fruit and veg in fitzalan sq, now its a deli or something, they have another shop on chapel walk still, run by roger and pete. sadly JW passed on, but i can remember wednesdays when the manageress was on her day off, god i HATED her, he used to pay me £5 to wash his white merc!

god rest his soul!!

was based with SYTG on newhall rd, was paid £27.50 a week too but my mam took a tenner off me for board :(

Oh how you have jogged some memories for me :)

I was also on a YOP scheme and received 25 pounds a week and had to give my mum 10 pounds board.

Sarah

• 1 month later...

I did an IT (sorry, "Computer Studies" as it was called back then!) Employment Training Scheme around 1986 somewhere on Carlisle Street. (Something House? It's still there, just down from the "naughty" pub, and the Gay one, the Norfolk...)

There were about 12 of us doing it. Half of the blokes there were redundant steel workers and crane drivers who'd been made to go on the scheme. All they did all day was sit around reading the paper and smoking roll ups, cos they had no interest and no hope in finding a job back then. (Who needed 55 year old ex-rolling mill operatives and crane drivers??)

There were about three or four 18 year olds like myself who'd left school with hardly any qualifications, couldn't (or wouldn't!) go to Uni. We were keen, we WANTED to use a computer, cos we knew those massive Amstrad 486's were the FUTURE!

One other bloke I remember on the scheme was ex-United goal keeper Steve Conroy! I was MASSIVELY impressed when I saw him, cos I'd had a poster of him stuck under the lid of my desk in Junior School :) He was a nice bloke too. He got me and a mate tickets to see the Blades play Mansfield Town at the Lane. It was a night match, it rained, we were freezing, and yes, I think the Blades lost! There was a bit of trouble on the South Stand that night, as some Mansfield fans on there were giving it some mouth cos they'd beat us. I can STILL remember these two blokes with donkey jackets on getting a bit of a pasting...

I also remember giving myself two weeks off at Christmas, and having my dole money stopped that New Year cos I didn't attend!

(Isn't it amazing what your mind remembers? I can recall crap like that above, and see those Stags fans faces getting punched, and yet I once forgot my wifes birthday (ONLY the once mind!), regularly forget what I went upstairs for, and can never remember the IP number for our server at work!)