Anyone work on a government work scheme in the 80's

I did an IT (sorry, "Computer Studies" as it was called back then!) Employment Training Scheme around 1986 somewhere on Carlisle Street. (Something House? It's still there, just down from the "naughty" pub, and the Gay one, the Norfolk...)

There were about 12 of us doing it. Half of the blokes there were redundant steel workers and crane drivers who'd been made to go on the scheme. All they did all day was sit around reading the paper and smoking roll ups, cos they had no interest and no hope in finding a job back then. (Who needed 55 year old ex-rolling mill operatives and crane drivers??)

There were about three or four 18 year olds like myself who'd left school with hardly any qualifications, couldn't (or wouldn't!) go to Uni. We were keen, we WANTED to use a computer, cos we knew those massive Amstrad 486's were the FUTURE!

One other bloke I remember on the scheme was ex-United goal keeper Steve Conroy! I was MASSIVELY impressed when I saw him, cos I'd had a poster of him stuck under the lid of my desk in Junior School :) He was a nice bloke too. He got me and a mate tickets to see the Blades play Mansfield Town at the Lane. It was a night match, it rained, we were freezing, and yes, I think the Blades lost! There was a bit of trouble on the South Stand that night, as some Mansfield fans on there were giving it some mouth cos they'd beat us. I can STILL remember these two blokes with donkey jackets on getting a bit of a pasting...

I also remember giving myself two weeks off at Christmas, and having my dole money stopped that New Year cos I didn't attend!

(Isn't it amazing what your mind remembers? I can recall crap like that above, and see those Stags fans faces getting punched, and yet I once forgot my wifes birthday (ONLY the once mind!), regularly forget what I went upstairs for, and can never remember the IP number for our server at work!)

Hey I was on that course, I remember Steve Conroy well!

Anyone do a Y.T.S scheme with Rodger Worth (before he had his own training company) at the YMCA building on colegate crescent back in the late 80's I did one on retail training got put on a placement in 'Memmots ' on Nth Church Street though my mate had the best one he got put on a placement at ' Redgates' looking after the train sets !!.

god, yeah, i remember doing my yts back in sept '86, i was at Bradshaws fruit and veg in fitzalan sq, now its a deli or something, they have another shop on chapel walk still, run by roger and pete. sadly JW passed on, but i can remember wednesdays when the manageress was on her day off, god i HATED her, he used to pay me £5 to wash his white merc!

god rest his soul!!

was based with SYTG on newhall rd, was paid £27.50 a week too but my mam took a tenner off me for board :(

She should have given you the tenner and took the rest for board , it amazes me how things changed over the years at one time the bulk of wages went to the mother, now a fraction is begrudingly handed over Iwonder why? Arthur.

I did a 'Hallmark' YTS scheme - 1987 to 1988 at a small engineering firm in Attercliffe. I seem to remember £28.50 the first year after a rise from £27.50 and £35.00 the second for 37 hours a week work.

I was lucky - the company I worked for used to give me £50 a month on top.

If only my wages would stretch as far these days!!

A very scarey memory - I had my photo taken for the front of a leaflet for Hallmark - The start of my modelling career!!

god, yeah, i remember doing my yts back in sept '86, i was at Bradshaws fruit and veg in fitzalan sq, now its a deli or something, they have another shop on chapel walk still, run by roger and pete. sadly JW passed on, but i can remember wednesdays when the manageress was on her day off, god i HATED her, he used to pay me £5 to wash his white merc!

god rest his soul!!

was based with SYTG on newhall rd, was paid £27.50 a week too but my mam took a tenner off me for board :(

I did a retail course in 1987-1989 at SYTG on newhall rd

Anyone do a Y.T.S scheme with Rodger Worth (before he had his own training company) at the YMCA building on colegate crescent back in the late 80's I did one on retail training got put on a placement in 'Memmots ' on Nth Church Street though my mate had the best one he got put on a placement at ' Redgates' looking after the train sets !!.

I remember Target YMCA I was there for the very first intake when it changed from YOP to YTS,some of the best days of my life were had there met some realy top people and learned something as well.

I was doing the building maintainence,those were the days