Induction hob correct fitting.

This hob then will be a load of rubbish . If 4 burners are on they will be heating at less than one kw each not enough to boil an egg and if you put boost on to one burner it will literally nearly switch other burners of. I have exchanged mine for a hard wired one 3.5kw back burner one ring 2.5 kw. 2nd ring on back and 2 front burners 2kw each

Now I'm confused...aren't you the OP asking if your hob with a plug on it is OK to just plug in, and therefore not a hardwired one??

If it’s got a 13A fuse fitted, then why not just plug it in and put a pan of water on the each ring and turn them on to full. The worst you can do is blow the fuse. If they do modulate in some way to limit the total combined current to stay within 13A, then the next question would be – are you satisfied with how quickly the water is boiled when all the rings are competing? (Edit - and bear in mind how often, if ever, are you going to run all rings flat out).

As I understand it, the induction hobs can be rated less than an equivalent electric ring because pretty much all the energy is transferred to the pan, whereas a “conventional” electric ring wastes some of its energy in heating the surrounding air. As a result, the rating of the hob might be misleading.

Now I'm confused...aren't you the OP asking if your hob with a plug on it is OK to just plug in, and therefore not a hardwired one??

Yes thats right but after talking to an electrition he said a 4.6kw could not run off a 3 point plug and at 4.6kw would be under powered if he cut the plug off and hard wired it I took it back and got a 9kw.one which had to be hard wired a lot more powerfull . I was trying to get an another electritions point off view as to wether it would be safe to plug one straight in as manufactures said you could. As you can see even they are dont know . Trying to sort it out as they are prob made in China and not safe .

Yes thats right but after talking to an electrition he said a 4.6kw could not run off a 3 point plug and at 4.6kw would be under powered if he cut the plug off and hard wired it I took it back and got a 9kw.one which had to be hard wired a lot more powerfull . I was trying to get an another electritions point off view as to wether it would be safe to plug one straight in as manufactures said you could. As you can see even they are dont know . Trying to sort it out as they are prob made in China and not safe .

I imagine the electrician knows all about domestic wiring and not a lot about the internal design and operation of an induction hob...

Not sure why you think the manufacturers don't know, all you have is an electrician thats told you its no good.

Why would it not be safe if its made in China? Is it CE marked or just some grey ebay/internet import??

diversity is the word you are all looking for. the hob controls may well regulate the power to each ring if everything was all on at once at full whack, which may be unlikely.

Anything sold as CE marked with a 13a plug should in theory be fit for purpose so just plug it into a socket, or if need be wire it into a 13a switched fused spur.

4.6kw as a direct constant load will indeed (eventually in some cases) blow a 13a fuse but no one would sell legitimately a piece of equipment in the uk that would do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider1

Hi. Ive bought an induction hob 4 . 6 kw its got a factory fittrd plug on it . An electricion has told me that it will blow the fuse as 4.6 kw is to much for a 3 point pin plug. He says it has to be hard wired yet the plug is factory fitted. Help.

The unit might be designed in a way that would prevent it drawing maximum power.

The electro magnets turn on and off constantly to keep the pan at temperature, so even with all four hobs on maximum and believe me you won’t use maximum, the magnets won’t all be drawing power at the same time.

You could contact manufacturer for advice.

Neff T42E20X1EU Induction Hobs 4.6kW power output (20A), current management options for 16A, 13A or 10A connection

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived