Delving into the past

I was born in sheffield in 1970 and lived a very happy childhood in the Millhouses area of the city till my family moved to the midlands in 1983. I am trying to piece together a bit of family history and wondered if anyone on this forum new of a family named (I think) Dempsey that was involved in the shoe business at that time.

Hi

There was a Dempsey's shoe shop at The Pavement on Duke St in the 1960s. I don't have any other information on the family, it was were my mum bought her shoes as they sold small sizes 2 and a half to be precise.

Regards

Tuppie

Originally posted by timjosephus

I was born in sheffield in 1970 and lived a very happy childhood in the Millhouses area of the city till my family moved to the midlands in 1983. I am trying to piece together a bit of family history and wondered if anyone on this forum new of a family named (I think) Dempsey that was involved in the shoe business at that time.

Dempseys also had a shoe shop in Hillsborough. If my memory serves me correctly it was on Middlewood Road. I bought my first pair of Winklepickers there

The Kellys directory for 1951 gives Dempseys as LEWIS DEMPSEY AND SONS LTD BOOT DEALER 294 SOUTH ROAD 6 63/70/72 DUKE ST 182 MIDDLEWOOD ROAD, HOUSE 173 ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH.

In 1938 there was LEWIS, HOUSE 40 SOUTHBOURNE ROAD

30/32/34 MEADOW ST PLUS DUKE ST AND SOUTH ROAD.:)

1927 Lewis lived at 71 Havelock square shops at Meadow st /South rd.

• 1 year later...

AAARRGGHHH!!!! Is this freaky or what! Replied to this thread this morning, went car shopping this afternoon on Penistone Road, spotted a car we fancied only to find that it had been sold and had the new owner's name on the windscreen- someone called Dempsey!!!!!!!

Archived