Nurses are being forced off wards to clean toilets

Mecky

Ensuring the ward is clean and cleaning are two different things. Do you think nurses have a duty to scrub the loos? Wouldn't that job be better done by a cleaner?

did you read the article? It did not mention these were regular tasks for the nurses. It read as if these were occasional requests. Therefore it would come under maintaining cleanliness not regular cleaning so yes I think nurses have a duty to do it.

If she's dealing with sick people then she's probably touching worse than that in her work. It's not the best line of thought.

----------

I apologise to male nurses aswell for using 'she' straight away. My quick gender stereotype is showing.

As an example. It's reckoned that you don't keep a toothbrush in the bathroom at home, because spray from the flush leterally goes all over the bathroom. It's recommended that it's kept in a closed cupboard, as far away as possible from the toilet bowl, bacause germs can spread that way.

Link here

So if a nurse has just cleaned a particularly nasty 'bowl' then chances are she/he will be covered in germs. Not just hands but pretty much all over. Clothing, shoes, uniform...etc.

In a nutshell it's simply not a good idea for highly qualified, and maybe even the not so highly qualified nurses to be doing cleaning duties of that nature!

Therefore it would come under maintaining cleanliness not regular cleaning so yes I think nurses have a duty to do it.

It read to me like cutting other staff was forcing nurses into tasks that used to be done by cleaners.

The odd chore of cleaning a loo is not beyond a nurse. The regular task of doing it as part of their job is silly. They're trained to 'nurse' people back to health - that is their duty.

My gf is currently studying to start a nursing course. She's not learning about brain functions so she can scrub the lavvy.

did you read the article? It did not mention these were regular tasks for the nurses. It read as if these were occasional requests. Therefore it would come under maintaining cleanliness not regular cleaning so yes I think nurses have a duty to do it.

If nurses are effectively being used to fill gaps in regular cleaning provision then it is wrong.

It's pretty obvious.

So if a nurse has just cleaned a particularly nasty 'bowl' then chances are she/he will be covered in germs. Not just hands but pretty much all over. Clothing, shoes, uniform...etc.

What if she is cleaning a soiled bed after a similiar problem? Are there less germs then?

Asking nurses to stay away from germs is silly. That is part of their work. Asking them to do a job that can be done cheaper and easier by someone else is the bigger problem.

What if she is cleaning a soiled bed after a similiar problem? Are there less germs then?

Asking nurses to stay away from germs is silly. That is part of their work. Asking them to do a job that can be done cheaper and easier by someone else is the bigger problem.

Well yes .. I see what you mean, but it doesn't involve a 'flush' does it?

There are times when nurses should do jobs like disinfect loos, mop floors, clean a bed or a room if the job needs to done there and then and a cleaner isn't available.

I do believe that is wrong however to make the nurse primary responsible for for carrying out those jobs, the domestics carry out a vitally important role in the hospital, and it cannot be shipped out to other hospital employees.

Also the thread title is slightly misleading as I've read it because aren't the nurses being asked to clean on the ward?

There are times when nurses should do jobs like disinfect loos, mop floors, clean a bed or a room if the job needs to done there and then and a cleaner isn't available.

I do believe that is wrong however to make the nurse primary responsible for for carrying out those jobs, the domestics carry out a vitally important role in the hospital, and it cannot be shipped out to other hospital employees.

Also the thread title is slightly misleading as I've read it because aren't the nurses being asked to clean on the ward?

Doesn't the real problem stem from when they got private contractors to do cleaning services? I always reckoned it should have stayed 'in-house' and not be farmed out to some contractor who could do it on the cheap, paying minimum wage...etc...

Archived