ECHR upholds one Christian but dismisses other cases

I don't understand why she was banned from wearing her cross. This is a Christian country after all. Political correctness is a cancer which is killing this country. just look at how much time and effort the police have put into investigating a dead man like Jimmy Saville but did nothing about the Asian gang in Rochdale. keep Britain Christian.

Because thems is the rules. That's the start and finish of it. If you want a job where you don't have to wear a uniform and can wear what you like, be a teacher. Have you seen some of them lately ??

But they're not the rules- at least not now.

She challenged the rules, and the court decided she was right. Even before it went to court, the employer scrapped the ban when her sacking got in the news.

I don’t know the entire case history here, but from reading the thread it seems that the Christian lady who won her case today was offered a range of alternative options to comply with her company’s’ uniform policy. If this were true then she, in my opinion does not deserve her victory.

That depends very much on what the 'alternative options' were, doesn't it?

I am 6ft 4in tall, and upon starting my current employment found that I could not sit at their standard height desks as my legs wouldn’t go underneath. I was offered an option of a desk which I can raise to my comfort. If I had refused this offer, would I deserve to win a case for discrimination on the grounds of my height? Not an exact comparison I know.
Not only is it not an exact comparison, it's no comparison at all- if for some strange reason you'd refused a desk which fitted you, you could have used the one that didn't- your choice.

My employer has a casual dress code. However there is a “no football shirts” and a “no offensive slogan” policy. Could I take my employer to court for refusing me the right to express my religious freedom if I were dismissed because I were a member of the Westboro Baptist Church and I wore a T-Shirt saying “God hates fags”?

I guess you could take them to court- you'd lose though, for wearing an offensive t-shirt. In contrast she was wearing a small cross, which is not offensive.

I don't understand why she was banned from wearing her cross. This is a Christian country after all. Political correctness is a cancer which is killing this country. just look at how much time and effort the police have put into investigating a dead man like Jimmy Saville but did nothing about the Asian gang in Rochdale. keep Britain Christian.

Deference to Christianity also meant that the subset of Catholic priests who abused children weren't investigated either.

We're better off keeping religion out of it and treating everyone the equally.

As long as employers aren't playing favourites on which religious garb I don't see it as a problem.

Some employers seems in favour of showing that they have no discrimination by bully the Christian, because other religions are minorities so they are Social vulnerable groups.

Told this was due to health and safety reasons and uniform policy, but Muslim women are allowed to wear long sleeves which is also against health and safety and uniform policy. Reverse discrimination?
What disgusts me, and what makes this so wrong, is not that Christians are banned from wearing the symbols of their religion, but that others, Muslims and Sikhs in particular, are allowed to. This is clearly racial and religious discrimination, and is inexcusable in a civilised society. Sikhs are even allowed to carry knives to work - and these 'Kirpans' are lethal weapons! No religious symbols should be allowed, but if Muslims and Sikhs are allowed to flaunt their greater freedoms, then everyone should be able to wear symbols of their religion, or lack thereof, including Satanists! As an Atheist, I would, as the religious people clearly want to, inflame the situation still further by wearing a battery powered, brightly illuminated sign on my head saying 'ATHEIST AND PROUD", symbolising the enlightenment and inflaming the situation still further!

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 22:56 ----------

Deference to Christianity also meant that the subset of Catholic priests who abused children weren't investigated either.

We're better off keeping religion out of it and treating everyone the equally.

True indeed. So you then would support a ban on ALL religious symbols at work, including ALL religious dress and ceremonial (lethal) knives etc.? Or are you one of those who seek to appease the militant, and therefore slightly scary, religious extremists?

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 22:58 ----------

KEEP BRITAIN ATHEIST more like! Jimmy Saville was a Christian - a Catholic to boot!

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 23:06 ----------

My Bold=

What a load of bull excrement, and the chain can be a health and safety issue if it snaps off.

No, it's not bull poo. Muslim women are provided with disposable sleeves, which they are supposed to dispose of after each patient. (At the tax-payers's considerable expense, naturally.) Edited by Aleksandr

What disgusts me, and what makes this so wrong, is not that Christians are banned from wearing the symbols of their religion, but that others, Muslims and Sikhs in particular, are allowed to. This is clearly racial and religious discrimination, and is inexcusable in a civilised society. Sikhs are even allowed to carry knives to work - and these 'Kirpans' are lethal weapons! No religious symbols should be allowed.....

???

You do realise that atheism is simply an absence of belief in God/gods and other entities who's existence cannot be proved? There's nothing in atheism that dictates what symbols other people should be allowed to wear, or that atheists should campaign against such symbols or endeavour to prevent others from displaying them.

As an Atheist, I would, as the religious people clearly want to, inflame the situation still further by wearing a battery powered, brightly illuminated sign on my head saying 'ATHEIST AND PROUD", symbolising the enlightenment and inflaming the situation still further!

You're perfectly entitled to wear a symbol representing the fact that you're an atheist.

If you really want to wear a illuminated sign on your head, feel free to do so, no-one's stopping you.

???

You do realise that atheism is simply an absence of belief in God/gods and other entities who's existence cannot be proved? There's nothing in atheism that dictates what symbols other people should be allowed to wear, or that atheists should campaign against such symbols or endeavour to prevent others from displaying them.

You're perfectly entitled to wear a symbol representing the fact that you're an atheist.

If you really want to wear a illuminated sign on your head, feel free to do so, no-one's stopping you.

But if the uniform code says you can't, you can't. BA folded because they didn't like the bad press.

But if the uniform code says you can't, you can't. BA folded because they didn't like the bad press.

It doesn't, like I said before-

But they're not the rules- at least not now.

She challenged the rules, and the court decided she was right. Even before it went to court, the employer scrapped the ban when her sacking got in the news.

If the rules say you can't, and you think the rules are wrong, you can, rather than simply complying, challenge them, and, maybe even get them removed.