ECHR upholds one Christian but dismisses other cases

Parliament, sorry. My fault for using the wrong term. The House of Lords is part of Parliament, and they do have powers, and you're wrong.

The House Of Lords is unelected and do not have any powers as anything they object to can be overridden by the government. Their job is to scrutinise any legislation passed by the Commons and that is about it.

Don't worry about them having powers,their powers have diminished anyway.

The Powers are being controlled by others now,only more subtly.

Most Christians prefer to conceal their beliefs now,they are realising silence is wiser.It won't be too long before their voices are stifled completely,so that will please many of you.

On what evidence do you base these assertions?

So, in summary, just in case some of you believe the Mail and Telegraph lies about this being some sort of fight against Christian persecution and that there is some widespread ban on the wearing of Christian symbols:

1. Former nurse Chaplin was allowed to wear her christian symbol as a brooch but she refused.

2. BA check-in staff Nadia Eweida also refused to wear her christian symbol as a brooch/badge or work in another department where chains were allowed.

3. McFarlane the sex counsellor had counselling gay clients as part of his job, he actually signed an agreement to it, then reneged.

4. Ladele the Registrar refused to do her job because conducting same-sex civil partnerships was part of that job.

:huh:

Here's the point of view of someone who was raised in a Christian family and who now isn't even sure if he believes in God -

In the case of the two women re crosses/crucifixes - the choice to wear these is one that's not supported by anything biblical; it's entirely personal.

It's entirely possible (and many would say desirable) to be a Christian without any external symbolism at all.

I don't think they have a case at all.

The sex counsellor - if as you suggest, he had already signed an agreement doesn't have a leg to stand on. God (if there is one) loves homosexuals as much as heterosexuals. Jesus would have told him to pull his socks up and get on with it.

Same applies to the registrar. She's labouring under the misapprehension that Christian = anti gay. It doesn't and she's wrong.

They haven't, in my opinion got any kind of case at all.

Here's the point of view of someone who was raised in a Christian family and who now isn't even sure if he believes in God -

In the case of the two women re crosses/crucifixes - the choice to wear these is one that's not supported by anything biblical; it's entirely personal.

It's entirely possible (and many would say desirable) to be a Christian without any external symbolism at all.

I don't think they have a case at all.

The sex counsellor - if as you suggest, he had already signed an agreement doesn't have a leg to stand on. God (if there is one) loves homosexuals as much as heterosexuals. Jesus would have told him to pull his socks up and get on with it.

Same applies to the registrar. She's labouring under the misapprehension that Christian = anti gay. It doesn't and she's wrong.

They haven't, in my opinion got any kind of case at all.

I too was raised in a Christian family, the kind that goes to church when someone dies, gets married, or is born, along with Easter and Christmas. We do not wear crosses or belts with "Gott mit Uns" on the buckle. I am no longer, sadly, as sure of an afterlife as I once was. When you get to be 80, you sort of hope but what the heck. If there's nothing, then you sure won't be worried. I like to tell my few atheist friends that, so they can stop gloating so much. My wife is native Irish, and catholic, or was until the priests started doing bad things to kids. So she drags me off to the Episcopal most weeks, where the coffee is good after the service, and the cookies are oreos. The way I see it, if a cross or turban is not affecting a workers safety, or hindering his or her ability to produce, why bother. If there are homosexuals present who are not making whoopee in full view of the kiddies, let them be. Simple.:)

The Christians concerned have definitely been discriminated against because other religions, one in particular, are allowed to discriminate against homosexuals as they see fit, so I don't see why Christians shouldn't be able to so as well! What's wrong with prejudice anyway? :huh:

Seriously though, people of other religions can wear symbolic items and provocative clothing like burqas; some are even allowed to carry lethal daggers in the workplace, so why not Christians too? (Or Atheists for that matter!) Let's face it, it's not like we're ever going to agree on anything, so why not display our differences, if not actually celebrate them. I for one celebrate my differences as I am so very, very happy that none of my friends are invisible! :D

On what evidence do you base these assertions?

Only on general observations and what i have heard.

Anti Christian sentiment is growing,many of them are aware of this and some will avoid any discussion to do with religion,even to the point of denying they believe in God in some circles.

Radical atheism is equally as disturbing as Radical Christianity in my view.

Only on general observations and what i have heard.

Anti Christian sentiment is growing,many of them are aware of this and some will avoid any discussion to do with religion,even to the point of denying they believe in God in some circles.

Radical atheism is equally as disturbing as Radical Christianity in my view.

It's noteworthy that as Christianity seems to react to ridicule and disbelief by retreating below the parapet, trying to change itself in line with modern ideas and keeping quiet and still, Islamism reacts by making greater and greater demands for recognition and 'respect', refuses to change one iota and having a hissy fit everytime it perceives that its demands aren't being met.

And as for the old religion - Paganism hardly dares speak its name for fear of being confused with the black arts and satanism.

It's a funny old world! :help:

Only Ms Eweida and Mrs Chaplin have a case as for other two they would have to agree to the new law otherwise they would have to leave,maybe compensated but you can't have someone in that position refusing to marry same sex
being pedantic and with a nod towards the entire raison d'etre of the 'gay marriage' movement, it's a civil partnership not a marriage. :)

Only Ms Eweida and Mrs Chaplin have a case as for other two they would have to agree to the new law otherwise they would have to leave,maybe compensated but you can't have someone in that position refusing to marry same sex

Eweida, I'm sure, doesn't really have a case, considering she was flouting the "no jewellery" rule that BA had at the time.

Archived