ECHR upholds one Christian but dismisses other cases

Devils advocate:

Wasn't it the case that the law had changed after both McFarlane and Ladele had signed a contract of work?

McFarlane actually signed an agreement to say that he would counsel same-sex couples, but then reneged.

I think the case with Ladele is as you say, so you can attempt to play devil's advocate if you want. :)

Seeing some of these posts makes me feel determined to wear a cross in future.

Maybe now you can understand why some find religious relics offensive, not because of the religious factor, but the immaturity of wanting to be offensive rather than a belief.

If my atheist boss says anything about it tomorrow,i shall tell him to stuff the job.:rant:

You work for an atheist? :hihi:

I consider Mr McFarlane, the relationship counsellor, to have the strongest case. That's like being the tallest midget, so I understand it's not water-tight.

He certainly shouldn't be allowed to discriminate; but equally, who wants relationship advice off a man who finds one's lifestyle wrong? I wouldn't. If I was going for counselling then I'd atleast want to talk to a person who could relate to my situation.

McFarlane actually signed an agreement to say that he would counsel same-sex couples, but then reneged.

I think the case with Ladele is as you say, so you can attempt to play devil's advocate if you want. :)

I came in on the back end of a Rad4 broadcast yesterday which highlighted the case regarding a point of law. I wasn't sure which one. In the case of McFarlane it seems cut and dried from a ECHR perspective, maybe not so with Ladele?

I consider Mr McFarlane, the relationship counsellor, to have the strongest case. That's like being the tallest midget, so I understand it's not water-tight.

He certainly shouldn't be allowed to discriminate; but equally, who wants relationship advice off a man who finds one's lifestyle wrong? I wouldn't. If I was going for counselling then I'd atleast want to talk to a person who could relate to my situation.

I thought only ms Chaplin had a case but I just read it again and I realised I kinda rushed reading it before, she was moved to a deskjob after similar reasons to the other woman at BA.. So now in my opinion, none of them have a case

I came in on the back end of a Rad4 broadcast yesterday which highlighted the case regarding a point of law. I wasn't sure which one. In the case of McFarlane it seems cut and dried from a ECHR perspective, maybe not so with Ladele?

Why not?

We are all subject to changes in legislation, and cannot use religion as an excuse for avoidance.

A business would be able to refuse to serve an unmarried couple in 1974, but not in 1976 due to the Sex Discrimination Act 1975. Anybody refusing to serve somebody on the basis that they were "living in sin" would be sacked or moved to another role.

If Ladele wins her argument at the ECHR then it is quite possible that a restaurant could be successful in obtaining a licence to serve alcohol, and then find all it's staff now refuse to actually serve customers and cannot be sacked either.

Archived