Who is feeling the pinch of the recession?

I drive a Ford Ka, which is 10 years old, the insurance I got was the cheapest I could find, I do walk most places actually only use car for work or visiting parents etc who live at other side of sheffield and no im not loopy! A car is for convenience and it is to get to jobs and gives you freedom but bloody costs a fortune when its old I wanted nice opinions thank you!

I think you need to work out the actual financial saving to you if you were to give up the car- so deduct from its costs the bus fares you would have to pay.

Then work out the extra time that you will spend travelling by bus.

Then you can see if it is actual worth it to you.

To my place of work takes 10 minutes by car .....I can walk it in 40 - bus would be 1 hour (no direct service)....for me the walking is good time as gives me exercise, is a pleasant walk etc but not sure I could do it if I juggled 3 jobs.

But please note that it won't get you up hills with battery alone, you would have to cycle up them so if your work consists of many hills, beware of this

ha- thanks for that. Perhaps not the best for a city built on 7 hills then?

......but presumably even with pedaling there is some "assistance" from the bike?

Cars are silly things.

Bicycles and walking all the way. No insurance, no petrol, less sitting down indoors (we do quite enough of that).

Great if you have a 9-5 job and live a couple of miles from your place of work. What if you work shifts and have to travel across town ……….. an hours walk at 5am in the pouring rain anyone :shakes: …….. or how about a brisk walk home after you have just done a night shift.

Great if you have a 9-5 job and live a couple of miles from your place of work. What if you work shifts and have to travel across town ……….. an hours walk at 5am in the pouring rain anyone :shakes: …….. or how about a brisk walk home after you have just done a night shift.

I did say bicycle? Even a fairly unfit person can get a good 8-10 mph on a bike.

Ecclesfield to Greenhill wouldn't be much more than an hour and I don't see the majority of people living that far away from their workplace.

Archived