Who is feeling the pinch of the recession?

Thanks peeps, gonna have to do some thinking and working out pros, cons etc the car is useful but most of my money goes on it, like im working just to pay for car. How much is a weekly bus pass anyone? First or Stagecoach? Im not much of a bike rider, especially on roads, I would get knocked off knowing me!

Thanks peeps, gonna have to do some thinking and working out pros, cons etc the car is useful but most of my money goes on it, like im working just to pay for car. How much is a weekly bus pass anyone? First or Stagecoach? Im not much of a bike rider, especially on roads, I would get knocked off knowing me!

What about a scooter? When I had a 49cc, i payed £20 a month insurance, and it used to cost me just under a fiver to fill tank and got about 100 miles out of it

First are offering a deal at the moment £11 for a week -so perhaps have a practice week to see how you get on? pretend you don't have a car at all.

Mountain bike is the worst for hills, you want a racer, they are very light compared to mountain bikes

What about gears, what about the fact that people are using them to get to work.

Next you will be saying they don’t need mudguards ….. is a line of mud straight down you back fashionable for people that use racers in the rain.

What about gears, what about the fact that people are using them to get to work.

Well it's because alot seem to be embarrassed to ride racers to work but they are the best bike you can get for the roads ( yes I know we have alot of potholes but still )

Well it's because alot seem to be embarrassed to ride racers to work but they are the best bike you can get for the roads ( yes I know we have alot of potholes but still )

You still haven’t grasped the idea that people would be going to work and not just going out for a ride ………….. I used to have a touring bike, you need mudguards and somewhere to put your bag …….. you don’t get that with a racer.

Weekly pass is between £10 & £25, depending on your route, the £10 ones are just for a single service (on few selected services), it's £18.50 for first in sheffield, £20 for south yorkshire. It'll take you longer too, especially if it isn't on a frequent direct route. Stagecoach are a little cheaper, 4 week, 13 week & 52 week tickets are available too.

You could maybe save something if you shopped around for car insurance, trade down to a smaller car, find a job closer to home, drive less aggressively, don't use the car for short journeys when you could walk. None of those might apply to you, maybe £140 a month is as cheap as you can do it, if you're young, have points or claims & that's the reason for high insurance. You aren't even including maintenance costs, mot tests or tax.

You still haven’t grasped the idea that people would be going to work and not just going out for a ride ………….. I used to have a touring bike, you need mudguards and somewhere to but your bag …….. you don’t get that with a racer.

Agreed road bikes not so practical for commuting. Only time I've used a bike for commuting was in a hilly part of Tokyo. Due to Japanese sizes the only bike I could find large enough for me was a heavy fixed gear contraption known as a beach cruiser. Not the most efficient bike but it got me from A to B and I enjoyed riding daily. I'd say that mud guards etc., comfort, and of course price are more important than sheer speed for most commuters.

Hybrid bikes are meant to be nice for commuting (they're halfway between mountain and road bikes).

A friend, who had an electric bike at the time, pointed out their biggest failing...

IF the battery goes flat when you are out and about, they are seriously hard work to go any distance by pedal power alone - and that was living somewhere that was basically flat.

My next door neighbours got twins. Bought them a mercedes for there birthday. Thats right 1 mercedes between 2 kids!! think of the fights 'whos going to drive the mercedes today' etc. It's outrageous.

Cameron's got a lot to answer for with this recession.

Archived