Who is feeling the pinch of the recession?

Housing is unaffordable to many wanting to buy, and unaffordable to many wanting to rent, so they crash on friends floors, or go home to Mum and Dad who already have their own problems.

This is why I asked if she was living alone. I think sharing (renting) a place with someone saves you more money than most other cost cutting measures.

Think about a 2/3 bed house for about £600 a month - seems to be the going rate for your bog standard semi or bungalow.

Then of course you split the bills. Me and my housemate are paying about £400 per month each, rent + bills.

To get back on track after a wonderfully imaginative diversion into the pros and cons of bike riding, (why don't people start a new thread if they want to discuss something else?)....

Why do you think that the thread is off track …….. if people are feeling the pinch of the recession they might be interested in the pros and cons of bike riding … threads can expand you know … if they didn’t they wouldn’t last very long .

This is why I asked if she was living alone. I think sharing (renting) a place with someone saves you more money than most other cost cutting measures.

Think about a 2/3 bed house for about £600 a month - seems to be the going rate for your bog standard semi or bungalow.

Then of course you split the bills. Me and my housemate are paying about £400 per month each, rent + bills.

It's certainly an alternative. But it still sounds quite expensive to me and doesn't leave much left over to try and save for a place of your own.

Is it affordable on a minimum wage do you think?

What do people who can only get part time work do? Actually, this seems to be the area that causes most problems, yet is the fastest growing employment sector. It seems the system isn't set up to cope.

What do people who can only get part time work do? Actually, this seems to be the area that causes most problems, yet is the fastest growing employment sector.

Believe it or not many people find themselves better off working 16 hours part-time. You can claim housing & council tax benefit.

It's certainly an alternative. But it still sounds quite expensive to me and doesn't leave much left over to try and save for a place of your own.

Is it affordable on a minimum wage do you think?

It's affordable on less than minimum wage because I have done that for the past year and a half since I went self employed. The only thing that might not make it viable is if for some reason you do a lot of travelling. But then, if you were just looking for a minimum wage job, it's unlikely you'd need to look outside your own city.

Cutting down to 2 meals a day also helps!

I don't live alone I live with my husband and dog and we are sanctuary housing tenants, its a good job we are cos we couldn't afford to rent a private house at the moment as we are on an IVA paying off loans for next couple of years, after that things should get better. We shall manage somehow, there are people worse off afterall.

Archived