Graze Inn - Ecclesall Road

Bladesman

I went in yesterday and I like what they have done to the place.

Although the service was OK it was rather slow to say how many staff they had on and how many customers were actually there. The food was nothing amazing despite some interesting combinations on the menu. They over cooked one of our meals to a crisp (turned out it was the first time the chef had done that dish) and then followed it up by serving cold coffee. Our other meals were fine even though I wasn't that keen on what I had ordered but that was my own fault for trying to be adventurous. We did end up having to ask about 3 different people before we finally got the bill after the meal though. They didn't charge us for the overdone meal or the cold coffee and apologised for the inconvenience.

They will probably eventually iron out these problems so I may have to go back in a few months time perhaps.

Edited by Bladesman

Me and the boyfriend went down on Sunday afternoon for a drink in the sun.

The place looks pretty nice, although I'm not sure how inviting that grey will look once winter kicks in. However, the decor is lovely inside.

The staff were a little slow, but attentive and pleasant so I'm sure that side of service will get ironed out.

As for the drinks... my boyfriends pint of ale was apparently lovely, clean pipes, good temperature etc. but my mojito was horrific.

I always order a mojito in any new cocktail bar I visit as it is a real barometer of the level of cocktail training/knowledge of the staff. Firstly, they made the cocktail in a shaker!!! A mojito in a shaker!!! So I ended up with little bits of mint floating around. They used far too much soda in ratio to crushed ice so it quickly became diluted. It was just a crap mojito, and served in a "quirky" jar with a handle.

I would be interested in re-visiting Graze Inn to try the food, but I won't be ordering cocktails from there in a hurry.

(If any of you are wondering, I think The Wick at Both Ends and The Old House do the best mojitos in Sheffield. Further afield, the Blood Orange Mojito in Keko Moku in Manchester is to die for)

xx

What is it with this chain that they consistently label their food incorrectly? I know the forum is the last place a whingy vegetarian should expect sympathy, but all the venues in this chain label food with parmesan in it as "vegetarian".

It can't be vegetarian if it has parmesan in it. Parmesan, by definition, contains bits of dead calves. If it doesn't it's not allowed to be called parmesan.

The food standards agency guidelines become civilly enforceable in three years - these misleading restaurants really do need to get it sorted before then.

Edited by libuse

What is it with this chain that they consistently label their food incorrectly? I know the forum is the last place a whingy vegetarian should expect sympathy, but all the venues in this chain label food with parmesan in it as "vegetarian".

The Forum is part of a different chain to Graze Inn. Graze Inn is Brewkitchen.

It can't be vegetarian if it has parmesan in it. Parmesan, by defenition, contains bits of dead calves. If it doesn't it's not allowed to be called parmesan.

The food standards agency guidelines become civilly enforceable in three years - these misleading restaurants really do need to get it sorted before then.

Bits of dead calves?? I may need enlightening but as far as I know the only ingredient of it is unpasturised milk?

Bits of dead calves?? I may need enlightening but as far as I know the only ingredient of it is unpasturised milk?

Parmesan is one of those foods that has Protected Designation of Origin, and therefore in order to be called parmesan it has to be made to a specified standard. The standard requires that it is made with calf rennet, which is obtained from the stomachs of calves. Basically I find it shocking that restaurants such as this one label their food as vegetarian when it clearly isn't

More info here;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/feb/27/no-parmesan-please-we-re-vegetarian