Instant Karma - your stories

Some people believe in the concepts of Karma, Law of Return, or Heaven & Hell where there is some sort of supernatural balancing of one's actions and deeds.

It's a nice thought but I don't believe in those things, whilst I do accept the rational and humanist concept that you can you reap what you sow.

I do believe in coincidence though.

Yesterday morning I was driving to work when a chap stepped into the road some 10 yards in front. You know the sort, decided he was going to stay there, hardly moving, and stare at you as if your car shouldn't be on the road, arrogantly forcing you to slow to a halt, before skipping off with another "victory" under their belt.

Well imagine how my schadenfreude meter spiked when this chap turned up for a job interview yesterday afternoon. It was never mentioned, but I could tell that he recognised me and knew I recognised him, and realised he had already failed to get the job that he wanted.

Instant Karma?

Some people believe in the concepts of Karma, Law of Return, or Heaven & Hell where there is some sort of supernatural balancing of one's actions and deeds.

It's a nice thought but I don't believe in those things, whilst I do accept the rational and humanist concept that you can you reap what you sow.

Yesterday morning I was driving to work when a chap stepped into the road some 10 yards in front. You know the sort, decided he was going to stay there, hardly moving, and stare at you as if your car shouldn't be on the road, arrogantly forcing you to slow to a halt, before skipping off with another "victory" under their belt.

Well imagine how my schadenfreude meter spiked when this chap turned up for a job interview yesterday afternoon. It was never mentioned, but I could tell that he recognised me and knew I recognised him, and realised he had already failed to get the job that he wanted.

Instant Karma?

Yes, that sounds like an instance of karma- it sounds like you've already reaped the consequences of your actions :)

Instant Karma?

..and what a coincidence this is, was only talking to my partner last night about karma, she's a deep thinker with a soul of the spiritual variety. She firmly believes in karma but not necessarily in a negative or 'bad luck' way.

She thinks karma is a deliberate action, 'owned' by everyone and not just retribution enacted on those who've wronged us. So for her it's not about being punished for your actions, it's being punished by them and becoming stronger by bad things that happen to us.

So someone who wrongs you who you forgive internally, will be the poorer because they have the guilt to live with..personally I believe if they get run over by a double decker bus that's ultimate karma!

John Lennon has a lot to answer for!

I liked the story about the robbers from Leeds who were caught by their own CCTV. One of them had had CCTV installed at his own home to protect his possessions against robbers like himself. After a robbery he returned with his mates with everything they'd nicked that night. When the police suspected it might be him who'd done the robbery they raided his house and checked his own CCTV which showed film of them all returning from the robbery on the night in question. They all got sent down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9188179/Burglars-caught-by-the-security-cameras-they-installed.html

I saw what I thought was an empty biscuit packet on a hillside while out walking so got the oh to fetch it so we could dispose of it. On retrieval, it turned out to be a full, unopened packet of Oreo biscuits. Karma!

This one I kinda like not a lot. A woman in a car accident claimed she had wiplash. She claimed and spent the money on a hol. Whilst on hol she got drunk and fell off a cliff edge, survived but smashed her face in and lost the bottom of one leg.

Instant Karma?

I'm not sure the instance you retell would be instant karma. Mainly because you had 'control' of the interview. So it was entirely in your hands. You conciously made a decision that he wasn't getting the job! I do like the story though, and it must have given you a good feeling of "well it serves you right".

I had someone steal a pressurised water bottle from my garden a few months ago. It was about half full of double strength weedkiller, but really only 'looked' like just water. Although I have no idea who stole it or why, I would like to think that they took it home and watered their plants with it. That sort of gives me a feeling that it would be 'justice' for having stolen it in the first place!

Don't have any, I'm not that nasty and vindictive enough to seek retribution for everything inflicted on me, otherwise I'd never be happy.

It works both ways as max's story highlights, and there is no need for any vindictiveness element at all.

Besides, schadenfreude makes me happy! :hihi:

I'm not sure the instance you retell would be instant karma. Mainly because you had 'control' of the interview. So it was entirely in your hands. You conciously made a decision that he wasn't getting the job! I do like the story though, and it must have given you a good feeling of "well it serves you right".

I had someone steal a pressurised water bottle from my garden a few months ago. It was about half full of double strength weedkiller, but really only 'looked' like just water. Although I have no idea who stole it or why, I would like to think that they took it home and watered their plants with it. That sort of gives me a feeling that it would be 'justice' for having stolen it in the first place!

I wasn't looking at it from my point of view, I merely imagined myself in his shoes and wondered if he was thinking it could be Karma.

Archived